Infants require quality sleep to help them grow and develop both cognitive and physical. This makes the sleeping place a priority when furnishing your baby’s nursery. The decision to choose the sleeping arrangement is a decision that both parents have to discuss.
Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) mostly occurs during sleep and infants between the ages of 1-6 months are more vulnerable. This means that your baby’s sleeping space has to be guaranteed of safety and comfort.
Best bassinet are tested if they meet the safety threshold. So you are guaranteed that your child is sleeping in a safe space.
Table of Contents
- 1 Advantages and Disadvantages of Bassinets
- 2 10 Best Baby Bassinets 2018
- 2.1 1. Graco Dream Suite Bassinet – Most Economical Bassinet
- 2.2 2. BabyBjorn Gentle Rocking Cradle – Good for Comfort and Blending with Any Decor
- 2.3 3. Arm’s Reach Concepts Cambria Co-Sleeper Bassinet – Best for Co-sleeping with Your Infant and for Healing Mothers
- 2.4 4. Summer Infant Bentwood Bassinet with Motion – Best for Soothing Your Baby to Sleep
- 2.5 5. HALO Bassinet Swivel Sleeper Premiere – Good for Nursing Moms and Healing Mothers
- 2.6 6. Monte Ninna Nanna Bassinet – Good for Traveling Mothers and Infants
- 2.7 7. Graco Pack ‘N Play with Twins Bassinet – Best for Mothers with Twins and Providing Comfort
- 2.8 8. Kolcraft Cuddle ‘N care Bassinet – Good for Mobility and Soothing the Baby to Sleep
- 2.9 9. Delta Sweet Beginnings Bassinet – Best for Adding Color to the Interior Decor of Your Baby’s Nursery
- 2.10 10. Dream On Me Karley Bassinet – Best for Infants that Get Interrupted by Light
- 3 What is a Bassinet?
- 4 When Do I Need a Bassinet?
- 5 All Types of Bassinet
- 6 Features You Need On a Bassinet
- 7 How to Choose the Best Bassinet
- 8 How to Use a Bassinet Safely and Effectively
- 9 Bottom Line
Advantages and Disadvantages of Bassinets
Several pros and cons come with owning a bassinet. Here are some of them:
- They make co-sleeping with your child safe.
- Easy to monitor your child while they are asleep because you share the room. This reduces the risk of SIDS.
- It makes feeding the baby at night easy.
- It is convenient because it requires limited space.
- They come with additional features such as soothing vibration, music, light, and sounds. They are used to soothe your baby to sleep.
- They are portable. Some can be folded and packed or stored.
- They come with a canopy that is adjustable to protect your infant from distraction from light.
- The maximum weight recommended is very low.
- Some of the motors installed for vibration are noisy.
- Some of the additional features such as ribbons are not safe for the baby.
- You can only use it for a short period then you have to make sleeping arrangements for your child.
10 Best Baby Bassinets 2018
There are numerous types and brands of bassinets in the market. This makes it quite difficult to choose the right bassinet for your baby. We tested some of the bassinets in the market. Below is the top 10 best bassinets review:
|Graco Dream Suite Bassinet||Plastic||No||4.7|
|BabyBjorn Gentle Rocking Cradle||Metal||No||4.9|
|Arm’s Reach Concepts Cambria Co-Sleeper Bassinet||Wood||No||5.0|
|Summer Infant Bentwood Bassinet with Motion||Wood||4 C||4.7|
|HALO Bassinet Swivel Sleeper Premiere||BPA Free||3 AA||4.6|
|Monte Ninna Nanna Bassinet||Metal||No||5.0|
|Graco Pack ‘N Play with Twins Bassinet||Metal, Plastic||No||4.7|
|Kolcraft Cuddle ‘N care Bassinet||Metal||3 AA||4.9|
|Delta Sweet Beginnings Bassinet||Metal||3 AA||4.8|
|Dream On Me Karley Bassinet||Metal||No||4.9|
1. Graco Dream Suite Bassinet – Most Economical Bassinet
This bassinet is economical because it comes with a changing table. It comes with a canopy that can be used to prevent light when your baby is asleep.
There is a 2-speed inbuilt vibration system that can help soothe your baby. You don’t have to worry about the assembly because it is easy to set up.
The compartment below the bassinet is spacious enough to hold your baby’s necessities such as diapers.
2. BabyBjorn Gentle Rocking Cradle – Good for Comfort and Blending with Any Decor
The design of this bassinet is sleek and simple. The awesome mesh fabric can enable you to keep an eye on your baby as they sleep. The bassinet takes a more natural design, and the bassinet uses your baby’s movement to soothe them.
It is very light, and you can easily move it around the house. The mattress is also supportive and comfortable for your baby.
However, they are not fitted with wheels to help with the movement. You have to lift up the whole thing to move it around.
3. Arm’s Reach Concepts Cambria Co-Sleeper Bassinet – Best for Co-sleeping with Your Infant and for Healing Mothers
There is a unique bond that co-sleeping brings between the parents and their infant. This bassinet’s design allows it to be used next to your bed. The bassinet is adjustable and can be adjusted to the height of your bed’s mattress. However, there is a slight wall between that prevents the co- sleeper’s mattress to fully align with your mattress.
The mattress is firm, and the fabric mesh on sides of the bassinet makes it safe for the baby and easy to monitor them without moving around.
Mothers who have undergone C-section or those who feed their babies late at night might find this sleeping space awesome because it does not require much movement.
4. Summer Infant Bentwood Bassinet with Motion – Best for Soothing Your Baby to Sleep
The features that come with this modern and stylish bassinet are impressive. First, the bassinet comes with four peaceful melodies and other soothing sounds that will soothe your baby to sleep. It has a multi-speed swaying motion that can be adjusted (fast, medium, and slow). The vibration motor is silent, and it will help to soothe your infant naturally. The control panel is also easy to use.
This bassinet is spacious to put your baby to sleep conveniently. The lower compartment is also spacious, and you can store your baby’s changing kit. However, the bassinet does not have wheels to help with moving around the house. Also, it is too big compared to other bassinet and people with limited space may find it inconvenient.
5. HALO Bassinet Swivel Sleeper Premiere – Good for Nursing Moms and Healing Mothers
This is probably one of the most expensive bassinets, but you get your money’s worth. The bassinet rotates at 360 degrees which reduce your movement. It has an adjustable height, and you can rotate it over your mattress or push it away from your mattress. This can be very helpful especially after birth when you are in the healing process.
It has a nursing timer that reminds you when it is your baby’s feeding time. This bassinet also features 2-level vibration, 3 soothing sounds, and 3 lullabies sounds. All these features are automated, and they automatically shut off after 30 minutes.
6. Monte Ninna Nanna Bassinet – Good for Traveling Mothers and Infants
When you are looking for simple and elegant design, then you might want to consider this bassinet. The simplicity in the design also maximizes your baby’s safety because it does not have many ribbons or other features that can cause an accident during sleep.
It is gender neutral, and it is made of high-quality fabric. The wide base is made from birch wood, and it is curved to provide a rocking motion. It can use your baby’s movement to rock them, or you can do it for them.
The basket section is removable, and you can easily travel with it. However, the base does not have any wheels to help you move it around.
7. Graco Pack ‘N Play with Twins Bassinet – Best for Mothers with Twins and Providing Comfort
Sleep for twins can be hectic especially if they are sleeping in separate beds. This Pack ‘n Play bassinet makes it easy for you to monitor your twins in a comfortable, cozy sleeping place.
You also don’t have to buy a bassinet for the road because you can easily fold this bassinet and pack or store it. It has wheels to help you move it around.
The bassinets are removable, and you can put your child to nap anywhere. However, assembling the bassinet can be a hassle. The recommended maximum weight is about 15 pounds which is low considering you are dealing with twins.
8. Kolcraft Cuddle ‘N care Bassinet – Good for Mobility and Soothing the Baby to Sleep
The inclined sleeping position for your baby is one of the features that makes this bassinet unique. Other exciting features of this bassinet are nature sounds, classical music, and soft-glow check light. They help soothe your baby to sleep, and the light makes it easy for you to keep an eye on your child. The colorful toys hanging from the dome will also excite your baby.
The adjustable vibrations also help in soothing your baby. The bassinet has enhanced mobility because it is fitted with wheels. The bassinet is unisex, and the control panel is easy to use.
9. Delta Sweet Beginnings Bassinet – Best for Adding Color to the Interior Decor of Your Baby’s Nursery
The eye-catching, beautiful print on this bassinet’s fabric will compliment your baby’s room decor. The simple, elegant design and machine washable fabric make this bassinet convenient for any home. The canopy can be adjusted to fit your needs and also your baby’s needs.
It features soft, soothing music and light that will soothe your baby to sleep. The wheels are inbuilt to help with the movement around the home. However, it has a recommended maximum weight of 15 lbs. This is low compared to other bassinets in the market.
10. Dream On Me Karley Bassinet – Best for Infants that Get Interrupted by Light
This might be one of the affordable options that are fully functional. The bassinet has multiple joints that can be disassembled and folded. You can fold it and pack or store. The metal frame firmly holds the basket, and it is also light you can easily carry it around.
One of the exciting features of Karley Bassinet is the double canopy. This gives your child a complete cover during the day to have an uninterrupted sleep because of light.
The mesh fabric makes it easier to monitor your child. The basket compartment underneath is also spacious to accommodate your baby’s changing kit.
What is a Bassinet?
Bassinets are small comfortable sleeping space for infants normally between 1 to 6 months old. They are designed to provide co-sleeping arrangements without sleeping with your baby in the same bed. Most of the bassinets are smaller in size than cribs and can be easily moved around. They also have a weight limit, unlike cribs.
When Do I Need a Bassinet?
Bassinets are designed to make ‘room in’ sleeping with your baby possible. You will need a bassinet for your infant between the ages of 1 to 6 months. They also have a maximum weight limit recommendation, and you may be forced to make other sleeping arrangements in case your child exceeds the weight limit recommendation.
Most women who have undergone a C-section find bassinets convenient because it reduces movement. There are travel bassinets that you may need if you are going away from home.
All Types of Bassinet
Various types of bassinets are categorized according to the purpose. A bassinet can fall under one or more categories.
These are bassinets that are designed with portability in mind. Their frames are made of lightweight material. They have joints that can collapse quickly and stored. They usually have a low maximum weight limit.
Co-sleepers are convenient for mothers who have undergone C-section. This bassinet can be used beside your bed. The bassinet undergoes safety test assurance to ensure that they are safe for your baby.
They are designed to provide comfort and safety for your baby during sleep. Portability and collapse ability are not considered in the design. They are well decorated, and most parents who go for this need a bassinet that will complement their interior decor.
Features You Need On a Bassinet
Bassinets are used for a limited period. There are certain features you need to look for to ensure that the bassinet you choose serves your child the best way possible. Here are some of the features you need:
1. Canopy – The adjustable canopy can be used to block bright light and adjusted for easy access to the infant. Canopies with fabric that drape over the bassinet can be dangerous for an infant who can move and grab things.
2. Bedding – The safety assurance indicates that your bassinet’s mattress should not be thicker than 1½ inches. Thick mattress increases the risk of SIDS. Beddings that are machine washable makes it easier for you to keep your child’s beddings clean. This reduces any infection that can be caused by dirty beddings.
3. Functionality – Check how well the bassinet can serve your infant’s needs. There are maximum weight limit recommendations in most of the bassinets. For better functionality, the bassinet should be able to hold your baby’s weight comfortably. For travel bassinets, you will need a bassinet that can collapse easily and packed in the back seat of your car.
4. Movement – The mobility of the bassinet is another important feature. Bassinets fitted with wheels make it convenient to be moved around. The portability of the bassinet should fit your needs. The movement of the bassinet has to compliment the mother’s mobility. After birth movement of the mother is restricted to facilitate the healing process.
5. Sounds, lights, and vibration – You need a user-friendly control panel that can command all these features. Soothing melodies, soft light, and vibration are additional features that help to soothe your baby to sleep. Most of this features run on batteries.
How to Choose the Best Bassinet
There are standards that all bassinet should meet. Here are tips to help you choose the best bassinet:
1. Safety – The mattress should be firm enough to avoid cases of SIDS. The material used should also be chemical free. Flame retardants can be hazardous to your infant’s health. Babies sleep on their back, and the best bassinet should allow you to place your infant on their back without sinking in too much.
Bassinets with mesh walls are more recommended because they reduce the risk of SIDS. Especially, if your child can roll, they can press their face on the bassinet’s wall. It also facilitates good air flow.
2. Size – There are various sizes and net weight of bassinets. The size of the bassinet that you choose should conveniently fit in the space available in the room. This is mostly considered by parents who are planning to share the room with their infant. The weight restriction is also another important feature you need to consider. Choose a bassinet that will conveniently accommodate your baby’s weight.
3. Portability – The ease of moving the bassinet from one room to the next will determine your portability needs. Some bassinets are made of high-quality frames that can collapse easily. This makes traveling with the bassinet much easier.
4. Assembly – Choose a bassinet that can be easily assembled without the intervention of an expert. The tools required to assemble the bassinet should be simple and the procedure straightforward.
5. Ease of Cleaning – Your baby might have diaper explosion or stain their beddings. You need beddings that can be easily cleaned. Machine washable material is the best. Check if the components can be stripped from the bassinet’s frame. It will make it easier for you to wash all the fabric of your bassinet.
6. Additional Features – Different models have various additional features to make the bassinet more comfortable and cozy for your baby. Check if the lights, sounds, and vibration are according to your preference. Hanging toys and ribbons can be dangerous for your baby is they can move.
How to Use a Bassinet Safely and Effectively
Use thin and firm mattress on you bassinet. Remove any pillows and stuffy toys from your baby’s sleeping space. They can easily cause suffocation. Also, use thin blankets to avoid suffocation.
During assembly ensure that your bassinet is fitted well. This will ensure it does not collapse during baby’s sleep. The weight restrictions are also another factor you need to consider. Use a bassinet that can comfortably hold your baby’s weight and height. Some bassinet has hanging toys and ribbons. Ensure that they do not interfere with your infant’s space.
Bassinets are convenient sleeping space for your baby especially if you want to share the room with your infant. However, they are used over a short period. Get a bassinet that will serve your needs best during this period. Bassinets with a wider base provide stability. The safety for you baby during sleep is important. Check if the safety features meet the standards set for a bassinet and if the additional features meet your preferences.