Choosing the best collagen supplement is of vital importance in maintaining your aesthetic as you age. Sometimes, choosing the best product can feel like walking a minefield, having to navigate your way through the ratings while factoring in your personal needs and values.
Especially nowadays when there are just so many products for every need. Thus, we’ve compiled this list of the top ten collagen supplements to help you navigate the minefields in the industry!
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Choose the Best Collagen Protein Powder Supplement
- 2 Top 10 Best Collagen Powder Supplements 2017
- 2.1 1. Sports Research Premium Collagen Peptides – Best for Paleo, Gluten-Free, Non-GMO, Digestively Sensitive Souls
- 2.2 2. Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides – Best for Those Looking for Added Weight Aid
- 2.3 3. Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen – Best for Label Lovers
- 2.4 4. Neocell Super Powder Collagen – Best for Leaky Gut Aid
- 2.5 5. Neocell Super Collagen+C – Best for Maximum Absorption
- 2.6 6. youtheory Collagen Advanced Formula – Best for Joint Pain
- 2.7 7. Dr. Collagen Multi Collagen Protein – Best for That All-In-One Effect
- 2.8 8. Move Free Ultra Triple Action Joint Supplement – Best for Joint, Cartilage, and Bone Support
- 2.9 9. Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides – Best for Those with an Insensitive Palate
- 2.10 10. Perfect Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides Powder – Best for the Highest Bioavailability
- 3 What is Collagen?
- 4 Types of Collagen Supplements
- 5 Benefits and Harms of Collagen Supplements
- 6 How to Use Collagen Supplements Effectively
- 7 Conclusion
How to Choose the Best Collagen Protein Powder Supplement
The collagen creams out there claim to revitalize the skin, but collagen molecules are far too large to be absorbed through the skin, which is why we recommend a powder form to be sure you reap all the rewards from this powerful supplement!
When choosing the right powder supplement for your needs, the important factors to consider are purity, taste, texture, and origin.
1. Purity – The best collagen contains a high protein content and all nineteen specific amino acids, thus restoring bone density, improving concentration, balancing the emotions, and maintaining mobile and healthy joints.
2. Taste and Texture – You want to be sure the powder will dissolve easily and be easily masked by whatever you blend with it.
3. Origin – You will be putting quite a bit of this stuff in your body on a daily basis, and want to be (as sure as you can be in today’s world) that it is well-sourced and ethically produced.
The best collagen supplement would readily increase hyaluronic acid production in the body to benefit the dermal layer of the skin, while providing enough moisture and hydration to help the skin recover its dewy, youthful glow.
Top 10 Best Collagen Powder Supplements 2017
1. Sports Research Premium Collagen Peptides – Best for Paleo, Gluten-Free, Non-GMO, Digestively Sensitive Souls
People who’ve used this product claim that it does indeed mix and dissolve well, doesn’t clump up or gel together as these products have the potential to, and really doesn’t steal flavor away from whatever you mix with it.
Collagen soothes and heals the digestive tract while helping to repair the mucous lining, which helps aid the digestion process. And this product delivers just that!
There aren’t too many cons with this product, as it’s the top rated, save for the fact that it’s apparently quite a difficult jar to open!
2. Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides – Best for Those Looking for Added Weight Aid
This company has an ethical approach much like the previous brand, focusing on sourcing from pasture-raised, grass-fed cows, assuring that their product is non-gmo and kosher as well.
Their product is Whole 30 ® Approved, and advertised to also help maintain a healthy weight.
Unfortunately, some buyers found that this product had a bit of a taste, some finding it quite distasteful, in fact – but most claim it as tasteless.
This dissolves just beautifully in warm liquids, and the jar is easy to open.
3. Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen – Best for Label Lovers
This product is regarded as one of the better brands, and is cheapest when purchased through the company website instead of Amazon.
It will dd a slight nutty flavor to your coffee, but the most exciting thing is that it is also cold water soluble, which will make it much easier to incorporate into smoothies, and the like.
However, a few customers complained of more joint pain and a poor taste while taking the newest batch of the product.
Hopefully they will revert back to the original soon enough for it to be as good as it once was!
4. Neocell Super Powder Collagen – Best for Leaky Gut Aid
This product has been clinically shown to increase skin hydration by twenty-one percent, and most consumers raved about its amazing aid in leaky gut and digestive issues.
However, some said it made their throats dry, itchy and sore; some found that the delivered product was unsealed or already opened – a flaw in the packaging system that we hope they’ve already worked out!
5. Neocell Super Collagen+C – Best for Maximum Absorption
This product is the same as above, except that they add Vitamin C to the pills for the maximum absorption of the collagen into your system.
Some customers complained that the size of the pills was much too large; rather like horse pills!
Those can be a bit difficult to swallow, pun intended!
6. youtheory Collagen Advanced Formula – Best for Joint Pain
This product is engineered more specifically for joint pain, and is said to be great for ligaments and tendons. There is an allergy warning with this product, as it may contain sulfite residues, which would definitely put me off as a consumer, especially since there’s no reason collagen should have anything to do with sulfites!
This brand does add Vitamin C to their blend, and the size of these capsules are not nearly as large as NeoCell. Consumers report less exciting results and say that the product is not as effective as they had anticipated.
This product has all the same pros as regular collagen, but with a few more cons than we like to see. Some people’s stomachs got sick, and unlike most of the brands, this one offers no guarantee of success.
7. Dr. Collagen Multi Collagen Protein – Best for That All-In-One Effect
The taste is strong in this one, and unfortunately amazon doesn’t allow returns even though there’s a risk-free 30 day guarantee through the company.
Types I, II, and III are the most effective collagen types, but with the added types V and X, I can see how this would offer extra support, and extra collagen, which can’t be a bad thing!
The company recommends adding the product to baked goods to increase the protein intake, which is such a stellar and creative way to consume collagen! Their product is sourced from clean, grass-fed cows in Argentina, and contains none of the chemicals that can dirty up the meat we consume.
8. Move Free Ultra Triple Action Joint Supplement – Best for Joint, Cartilage, and Bone Support
With just one tiny pill (hooray!), Move Free Ultra Triple Action will support your joints and cartilage to keep you from slowing down.This is one of those products that adds other minerals and supplements, and when this happens, I always wonder how the bioavailability and absorption of the product are affected. The product adds Boron to help boost Vitamin D, Magnesium and Calcium production for healthy bones, and only contains Type II Collagen, instead of adding types I and III as most brands do.
You do only have to take one tablet, but there’s all sorts of ingredients, which may deter on your results, depending on what your expectations are. Some experienced nausea or digestive issues with this product, and even reported a lack of results, confirming the worry that taking a product with too many ingredients may deter from clear results.
9. Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides – Best for Those with an Insensitive Palate
Their pasture raised, grass-fed, 100% natural hydrolyzed collagen is packed with premium-quality protein and eighteen amino acids that rebuild and revitalize your entire body from the inside out.
I like how they advertise that “adding hydrolyzed collagen is like greasing a creaky door hinge”. Most people who’ve tried it find that this one has a more foul taste and smell than the others, and doesn’t seem to blend as well as advertised, but the effects are strong and well-lasting.
10. Perfect Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides Powder – Best for the Highest Bioavailability
Their exclusively Brazilian sourcing is pesticide and hormone free, allowing a natural supplement that seems to work as well as the best of them!
This powder dissolves in hot or cold liquid, though consumers claimed that it doesn’t dissolve as well as the other brands, but it seems to work rather well in comparison to the others! The product is produced as a low molecular weight for easier absorption and high bioavailability, and what’s nice is their product is pure collagen, without any additives or fillers, providing a very reliable product.
What is Collagen?
The micronutrients our bodies naturally produce decrease as we age, causing fine lines, wrinkles, sagging skin, reduced cartilage, and overall aging. Collagen provides strong structural support to our skin, bones and connective tissues, while also helping to maintain elasticity.
At twenty-five our collagen levels are already decreasing, and by the age of forty it is depleting faster than it can be made. Our collagen is stronger than steel! Imagine that! In order to defy gravity, the structure of our skin has to defy molten burning points!
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body, as it’s made up of over a thousand amino acids, in sixteen different publicly recognized types.
While taking collagen improves our exterior, that’s nothing compared to what it can do for us inside, adding a highly adaptable protein to our diet while healing our digestive tracts.
In terms of our skin, the middle layer, or dermis, is where collagen helps the most, in forming a quite fibrous network wherein new cells can readily grow.
Types of Collagen Supplements
There are so many advertised ways of adding more collagen into your diet and routine, from injections to creams, powders, gelatin and foods.
1. Bone Broth – Some natural ways of adding more collagen include bone broth, which you can make yourself from leftover meat bones, or purchase in most any grocery or online store.
2. Collagen fillers – Like that of the injections, these can have a higher risk of allergic reaction, and are a much more drastic approach to a collagen boost, but focus solely on the skin. Skin tests are usually required before an injection.
3. Skin Creams – As I mentioned before, skin creams are frankly not able to be absorbed fully through the skin, so it’s best to simply avoid those. The best way is to take collagen internally.
4. Powder – The two main powder forms are in loose powder or pill powder – gelatin capped powder.
The pill pros are that you won’t taste it, but the cons are that the pills generally run large and you have to take a lot of them.
The powder pros are that you can generally blend it into things you already consume on a daily basis without corrupting the taste, but the con here is that several of the brands are not nearly as tasteless as they advertise.
5. Colostrum – Another, dissimilar option is to take Colostrum, a separate and new supplement made of pure Bovine.
Benefits and Harms of Collagen Supplements
The benefits of collagen far outweigh the harms.
- Benefit – by giving the skin its structure, strength and elasticity as stated before, as well as helping to replace dead skin cells with new, healthy ones.
- Harm – The only reported problems range from adverse skin reactions to gastrointestinal issues, but with the more hypoallergenic brands, these issues seem to be a moot point.
Collagen also firms up all the connective tissues, including the tissue that lines your blood vessels. That’s why collagen could potentially have an adverse, inhibitory effect on platelets, as clots combined with hardened blood vessels could cause spontaneous bursting of those blood vessels. The key is, as always, to take everything in moderation. Do not take more than is recommended, and do be sure to listen to your body and respond with accordingly sound dosages.
How to Use Collagen Supplements Effectively
There have been some incredible advances in the medical field regarding collagen. Scientists have even successfully regenerated missing or damaged bones using collagen! So it has got to be a benefit in combating wrinkles, fine lines, and aging when used correctly. To support the use of this supplement, be sure to:
All in all, when choosing a product remember that internal absorption is key, and that you need to find a product you can incorporate into your routine in the least intrusive way. Here’s to us, bringing more natural youth and better digestion into our lives as we age through collagen!