Cooling pillows are the best thing that happened to our sleep. Sweating or trying to sleep under extremely high temperatures can affect the quality of sleep you get. Insufficient sleep or low-quality sleep can cause stress and fatigue or in extreme cases you may develop depression. The best cooling pillow is designed with a special heat-resistant silica gel that will help you have a cool night sleep. It absorbs your body heat thus regulating the temperature between your body and the pillow. Cooling pillows are also referred to as chillow.
Here is a guide that will help you get a cooling pillow that works for you:
Table of Contents
- 1 How Do Cooling Pillows Work?
- 2 How to Choose the Best Cooling Pillow
- 3 10 Best Cooling Pillows 2018 – Reviews and Guide
- 3.1 1. PharMeDoc Cooling Gel Memory Foam Pillow – Best for Side and Back Sleepers
- 3.2 2. Xtreme Comforts Slim Hypoallergenic Bamboo Pillow – Best for Stomach Sleepers
- 3.3 3. SleepBetter Iso-Cool Memory Foam Pillow – Recommended for Side Sleepers
- 3.4 4. Classic Brands Reversible Cool Gel Memory Foam Pillow – Best for People Who Sweat at Night
- 3.5 5. Laniloha Orthopedic Memory Foam Pillow – Best for People with Neck or Back Injuries
- 3.6 6. Equinox Cooling Gel Memory Foam – Best for Stomach and Side Sleepers
- 3.7 7. Coop Home Goods – PREMIUM Adjustable Loft – Shredded Hypoallergenic
- 3.8 8. Product Stop Cooling Gel Memory Foam Pillow – Best for Side and Back Sleepers
- 3.9 9. Snuggle Pedic Memory Foam Cooling Pillow – Best for People with Orthopedic Complications
- 3.10 10. Sleep Restoration Gel Pillow – Best Budget Pillow
- 4 Conclusion
How Do Cooling Pillows Work?
Cooling pillows use different types of cooling technologies to ensure that they provide results. Mostly, they fall under three categories which include pillows containing gel/water, breathable pillows, and pillows that contain phase-change materials.
Pillows Containing Gel/Water
These pillows use the principle of conduction to give you a cool night sleep. The water or gel inside the pillow adapts to the room temperature when the pillow is not in use. When you put your head on it the water or gel absorbs heat from your neck and head leaving you with a cool feeling.
These are pillows that use materials that are well ventilated. They promote free circulation of air and as a result they prevent accumulation of hot air inside the pillow. The circulation of air allows air to evaporate leaving you with a cool feeling.
Phase-change Materials Pillows
Pillows with PCM material have a bit advanced technology behind them than what we have already looked at. The PCM material change from liquid to solid state and this is what does the trick. While changing its state, it releases heat to your body and absorbs heat from your body. If I go in depth on how it works I might as well turn this article into a science class.
How to Choose the Best Cooling Pillow
There are some things that you need to consider before tossing yourself in the market to search for cooling pillows that will fit your needs. Here are some influential factors that will determine which pillow you choose:
1. The Material – Cooling pillows are very different from the traditional pillows. The material of the pillow that you choose will affect how efficient the cooling pillow serves your needs.
Memory foam is very popular because it provides a firm support and it is ideal for people suffering from shoulder or neck pains. So you don’t have to worry about walking around the following day like a robot because of a stiff neck.
There is cheaper material that cannot be machine washed. Well ventilated gel foam encourage good air circulation. Also keenly observe the outer fabric to detect any breakages or holes to avoid feathers from coming out of the pillow after a short duration of use. These are some of the things that you will look at when considering the type of material that you prefer.
2. Maintenance Guidelines – When choosing a cooling pillow, you will want something that you can easily handle. The material of the pillow usually determines the maintenance routine. There are chillows that are machine washed and others that are hand washed. Most of the cooling pillows with cooling gel are restricted from machine wash. Choose a pillow that you can wash or clean conveniently to avoid bacteria and fungus buildup.
3. Sleeping Habits – I know that this is the last thing that hits our mind when we are buying a pillow. The density, tension, and firmness of your pillow will depend on your sleeping habits.
Extra firm pillows are best for side sleeper while medium-firm cooling pillows are recommended for back sleepers. When you are a stomach sleeper you need something that can support your neck and thin, soft pillows are the best for this suppose. Choosing cooling pillows according to your sleeping habits will prevent you from hurting your neck or straining your spine during sleep.
4. Warranty – The lifespan of a cooling pillow should be more than 3 years. The warranty is a side indicator of the quality of the product you are purchasing. Getting a pillow that has a longer warranty means you can maintain a personal bond with your pillow for quite some time. Another reason is that in this difficult financial period we don’t want to go buy the same thing at the store because the last one was not efficient.
10 Best Cooling Pillows 2018 – Reviews and Guide
Here are the best cooling pillows in the market that will guarantee you a cool night sleep:
|PharMeDoc Cooling Gel Memory Foam Pillow||22.0 x 12.0 x 3.0||4.0 lbs||4.7|
|Xtreme Comforts Slim Hypoallergenic Bamboo Pillow||17.0 x 5.3 x 5.2||2.05 lbs||4.9|
|SleepBetter Iso-Cool Memory Foam Pillow||23.0 x 15.5 x 5.0||3.55 lbs||4.7|
|Classic Brands Reversible Cool Gel Memory Foam Pillow||24.0 x 16.0 x 5.0||5.0 lbs||4.8|
|Laniloha Orthopedic Memory Foam Pillow||31.0 x 18.0 x 5.0||7.5 lbs||4.8|
|Equinox Cooling Gel Memory Foam||23.5 x 15.5 x 5.4||5.9 lbs||4.9|
|Coop Home Goods – PREMIUM Adjustable Loft||30.0 x 20.0 x 8.0||3.5 lbs||4.9|
|Product Stop Cooling Gel Memory Foam Pillow||21.8 x 12.5 x 4.6||2.67 lbs||4.8|
|Snuggle Pedic Memory Foam Cooling Pillow||17.0 x 5.5 x 5.5||3.78 lbs||5.0|
|Sleep Restoration Gel Pillow||18.5 x 13.8 x 7.8||6.46 lbs||5.0|
1. PharMeDoc Cooling Gel Memory Foam Pillow – Best for Side and Back Sleepers
The ergonomically design of this pillow includes a dual layer and cooling memory foam. It is made of a high-quality breathable material that is firm but still comfortable. It is designed to provide maximum support to your neck and reduces pressure on your spine. Some of the factors that make you wake up and feel like you were carrying a load the whole night.
The material is hypoallergenic which makes it convenient for almost everyone. Hygiene is maximized by the design because it has a removable cover that can be machine washed. However, you have to air the pillow before you use it to remove the material odor.
2. Xtreme Comforts Slim Hypoallergenic Bamboo Pillow – Best for Stomach Sleepers
Most stomach sleepers risk suffocation or straining their spine if they do not get the appropriately designed pillows. Slim Hypoallergenic Bamboo Pillow is thin with breathable covers to reduce the mentioned risks and it made of friendly material. You don’t have to worry about allergic reaction such as sneezing or itchiness in the middle of the night that will interrupt your sleep because of your pillow’s material.
This pillow is cooler than the standard memory foam which makes it ideal for people who sweat a lot at night or live in extremely hot regions. However, over time you start noticing that the pillow becomes lumpy. Tossing the pillow into a dryer for about 15 minutes is the recommended remedy for this shortcoming.
3. SleepBetter Iso-Cool Memory Foam Pillow – Recommended for Side Sleepers
Most side sleepers will instantly fall in love with the design of this cooling pillow. The edges of the pillow are thick to provide maximum support to your neck. This pillow is manufactured using a lightweight visco-elastic memory foam which makes it efficient in absorbing heat and release it to provide a stable temperature throughout the night.
The cover is removable and machine washable to guarantee your hygiene standards. You can also obtain this pillow in a contoured design. However, before you use this pillow you will take a couple of hours to decompress it.
4. Classic Brands Reversible Cool Gel Memory Foam Pillow – Best for People Who Sweat at Night
A wet pillow can take away all the fun of a good night sleep. First, 5-inch pillow provides the perfect feature for almost all sleeping habits. The air circulation in the pillow is facilitated by cool gel technology. The fabric absorbs the sweat swiftly ensuring that you sleep on a cool and dry pillow.
The material is dual sided and manufactured using natural hypoallergenic foam that will guarantee you a good sleep. However, this pillow has a strong odor and needs to be aired for a couple of days before you start using it. It also lacks neck support which can be a problem for people suffering from neck injuries.
5. Laniloha Orthopedic Memory Foam Pillow – Best for People with Neck or Back Injuries
You cannot go wrong with bamboo viscose because of the good air circulation it provides. It is designed to provide your neck and back with the ultimate support. Heat disbursement and flow of air are facilitated by its contoured design. This pillow comprises of 3-layer support system that includes solid core memory foam, cool gel insert, and inner pillow cover that helps to maintain a cool temperature throughout your sleep. However, the pillow is quite firm and may not be recommended for back sleepers.
6. Equinox Cooling Gel Memory Foam – Best for Stomach and Side Sleepers
This cooling pillow is a combination of creativity and modern technology. It provides the required amount of support and fluff to give you uninterrupted sleep. The cooling gel is designed like a honeycomb to maximize its efficiency in regulating the temperature. The cooling gel is concentrated on one side of the pillow.
The material is certified to be health-friendly. Its 5-year unlimited warranty is one of the factors that guarantees you that you are buying a high-quality product.
This pillow is like a universal pillow that fits all the needs of everyone. It is adjustable and you can adjust it to fit your preferred position. The material is manufactured using a combination of bamboo and polyester while the inner lining is from interlock to ensure that air flow is maximized and absorption of sweat during sleep.
The pillow has to be aired for several days before use because of the odor it emits while new.
8. Product Stop Cooling Gel Memory Foam Pillow – Best for Side and Back Sleepers
One outstanding feature that you will notice when you start using this pillow is the flawless heat disbursement. The cooling gel absorbs heat away from your pillows surface to regulate a cool temperature throughout your sleep. It is contoured designed to give you ultimate support during sleep to avoid neck and back pains.
The pillow is made of hypoallergenic material. This makes it favorable for people with sensitive skin and those who have allergies. However, it is smaller in terms of size compared to other brands in the market.
9. Snuggle Pedic Memory Foam Cooling Pillow – Best for People with Orthopedic Complications
This is one of the reputable eco-friendly cooling pillows with orthopedic support that you will find in the market. The pillow is designed to accommodate the various sleeping habits. It provides a firm neck support and helps you sleep in a position that your spine will not be strained. It is also designed to allow machine wash and the memory foam is cooler than the standard pillow.
The pillow is chemical free and it is recommended for people with sensitive skins or highly allergic. However, the size is too small compared to other standard cooling pillows.
10. Sleep Restoration Gel Pillow – Best Budget Pillow
When you are looking for a hotel comfy cooling pillow then you have to consider this pillow. It provides a comfortable rest during sleep. The pillow is designed to allow machine wash which is a relief for people like us who wonder where all that sweat goes. The design of the pillow includes memory gel fiber and cool comfort technology to give you a cool night sleep.
The material is chemical free and they are mold and mite resistant. The price for this cooling pillow is very fair compared to the rest. However, these pillows do not come with covers and they are no-shift construction hence you cannot adjust it to fit any position.
Editor’s pick: PharMeDoc Cooling Gel Memory Foam Pillow. This pillow absorbs the sweat and leaves the surface of the pillow dry and cool. It is ideal for side and back sleepers and also people who sweat during sleep. Most of the consumers have given a thumbs up to this pillow and that is partly the reason I highly recommend it.
Best value for your money goes to Sleep Restoration Gel Pillow. It is the cheapest option but it is efficient in regulating temperature to give you a cool night sleep. Although you cannot adjust it but it provides a comfort.
After a long day at work and your metabolism rate is at its peak you need the best cooling pillows. Colling pillows regulate the temperature to ensure you sleep well and also they can help you save electricity bill because you will not need to turn on your AC. Remember to consider your sleeping habits and material that you can comfortably manage.
If this article was helpful, you can leave us a comment and share with your friends to spread cool and better quality sleep to everyone.