When taking part in any sport or game, athletes become vulnerable to all kinds of injury. One of the frequent injuries among athletes is the knee injury. If this part of the body is severely injured, then running or engaging in any physical activity becomes difficult.
Athletes fit knee braces to protect themselves from injury. They also offer support to an injured knee. Therefore, an athlete can participate in their favorite sport.
These knee braces are not just important to athletes only. Old, young men and women and patients with bone problems can use these knee braces as well.
Many vendors sell these knee braces nowadays. You can get these braces from your local pharmacist or an online vendor. In this article, we will review our 10 best knee braces, what you should consider when buying one, and many other details about these knee products that you need to know about. So, stick around.
Table of Contents
- 1 Benefits and Limitation of Knee Braces
- 2 Types of Knee Braces
- 3 How Does a Knee Brace Work?
- 4 When is A Knee Brace Useful?
- 5 How to Choose the Best Knee Brace
- 6 10 Best Knee Brace Reviews 2019
- 6.1 1. Shock Doctor 875 Ultra Knee Brace – Best for Nursing Injuries Attained During Workouts
- 6.2 2. ACE Knee Brace with Dual Side Stabilizers – Maximum Support during Knee Recovery
- 6.3 3. Active Relief Knee Brace – Best for Athletes Who Want To Train Longer During Injuries and Much More
- 6.4 4. Bracoo Knee Support – Good for Knee Support during Weightlifting and Recovery
- 6.5 5. DonJoy Legend SE-4 Knee Support Brace – Best Knee Comfort During Recovery and Instability
- 6.6 6. EzyFit Knee Brace Support – Best for Knee Support During Sports, Exercise
- 6.7 7. McDavid 429X Hinged Knee Brace – Good for Knee Recovery and Much More
- 6.8 8. Bauerfeind Sports Knee Support – Durable, Comfortable and Washable Knee Brace
- 6.9 9. Bauerfeind GenuTrain Knee Support – Best for Knee Strains and Comfort during Healing
- 6.10 10. Neo G Medical Grade VCS Adjusta Custom Fit Hinged Knee Brace – Good for Adjusting During Healing
- 7 Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ)
- 8 Conclusion
Benefits and Limitation of Knee Braces
- Knee braces protect the knee from hurt during sports such as weight lifting, basketball and other sports. Arthritis and knee structural patients should use these knee braces. This keeps them active as they do their daily duties
- During the cold season, people use the knee braces for warmth and consistent blood flow
- They help to fix your posture
- You can use the knee braces when at rest
- They can be boring to wear
- They can give bad odor due to sweating knees
- People can end up being too dependent on them
- Some people skip warm up sessions during exercises after getting used to them
Types of Knee Braces
1. Prophylactic Braces – Manufacturers use bars, adhesive straps, and hinges for the construction of these braces. You can wear these braces when taking part in any sport to protect the knee from injuries or even past injuries. Also, it can help when you have a stiff knee.
2. Rehabilitative Braces – These types of braces help to secure a broken ligament. For instance, if you had broken your knee, or injured it in any way; you can use them to keep your knee from any hurt even after surgery.
These knee braces do not encourage knee movement as in the case of the Prophylactic braces. Doctors advise that you should use these braces for 2-8 weeks.
3. Functional Braces – They are perfect for a healing knee injury or surgery. They come in different sizes and shapes. However, doctors recommend which functional brace to use depending on how much severity of the injury.
This sleeve would be the right choice for anyone with unstable knees.
4. Unloader Braces – These knee braces are perfect for persons who have inner knee problems such as arthritis patients and patients who are waiting to go for a knee surgery.
They help to take away any pain on the knee joint by pressuring the thigh bone and prohibit side movements of the knee. They come in form of plastic, steel and foam.
There is also a fifth type of knee support called a Knee Sleeve. Technically, it is not a brace but you can refer to the sleeve as knee brace sometimes. That is why we will not put it among the list. We will write about it in another article.
However, most athletes will often use this type of knee brace (knee sleeve) to provide knee support especially when on the field. It compresses your knee to reduce knee pain and stabilize your knee.
They are inexpensive. I think that is why most athletes prefer them!
Fun fact about these knee braces is that you can buy them from any pharmacy. However, it is still advisable to consult your physician before purchasing one.
How Does a Knee Brace Work?
They offer support to a knee that is recovering from an injury by compression or stability.
When you use a knee brace for compression, it provides the support needed to prevent the muscles on the knee from excessive inflammation. Also, you can easily move while in them.
When you hurt your knee, you use these braces for ligaments to stabilize the knee. In other instances, the knee brace can act as external ligaments.
When is A Knee Brace Useful?
You will often see many athletes using these sleeves to keep their knees safe from injury.
However, you should ensure that you use it under your doctor’s instruction. He or she will give you advice on which knee brace is perfect for your knee.
How to Choose the Best Knee Brace
As you shop, whether online or over the counter, you can get overwhelmed because of how much good stuff you have to choose from. This can be confusing if you know little about knee braces. When you begin the search process on your phone, what will you be searching?
I know you already have the answer. The best.
You are right. However, you have to consider a few factors before you decide which is best for your need.
1. Cost – Money can limit you when choosing the right knee brace. You need to have saved some cash to get the best knee brace for you.
Did you know that athletes spend thousands of dollars to buy a single brace?
Knee brace prices range from $100 to $400. Their prices typically depend on the material used to make the brace. The more expensive the material, the durable it is.
2. Sizing – Knee braces come in different sizing depending on the size of the knee it is fitted to. A standard sizing table is available which contains sizes for every knee size.
Measure the area below your kneecap to find the right size for your brace.
Be sure to find the right fit for your knee otherwise you can end up hurting your damaged knee more if you find a tight one. If it is loose, then your knee will not find the right support needed.
Ask for help from your physician or the customer care desk to help you find the right fit for your knee.
3. Support – Different knee braces provide some support for your knee. However, you cannot just buy any and fit it just right into your knee.
Therefore, you have to do a thorough research to know which one is best for your knee condition or injury.
Some knee braces control movement while others can be used to enhance movement, especially in the playground. For instance, a prophylactic knee brace will not hinder movement. On the other hand, rehabilitative braces can inhibit growth because you use them for healing when you have a broken knee.
4. Injury – Not all braces can help heal your injuries. Therefore, before you purchase a knee brace, you have to ensure that you know the injury you have.
In this video, Ossur Academy tries to explain how you should fit a CTI knee brace for first timers.
10 Best Knee Brace Reviews 2019
1. Shock Doctor 875 Ultra Knee Brace – Best for Nursing Injuries Attained During Workouts
This knee brace is good for athletes who want to continue with their workouts even during injury. The Shock Doctor offers the best stability for your injured knee. Actually, according to manufacturers, you can wear it after an injury and therefore, you do not have to worry about hurting yourself again.
To increase stability during any performance, manufacturers use tempered aluminum, Bilateral support hinges. While in this knee support structures, be assured that your knee feels protected and supported through any injury.
You will experience a lot of comfort when you wear this brace. They have proper ventilation for air balance and warmth. This is because it uses its N-Tex air flow vented neoprene for ventilation purposes.
On the other hand, ensure that you measure your knee size before you purchase one. This is because I had to re-order since my first one did not fit me.
The knee brace feels tighter during initial wearing days. However, it fits perfectly as you continue wearing it. Ensure that you do not fit your knee brace tightly to leave some space for easy removal.
2. ACE Knee Brace with Dual Side Stabilizers – Maximum Support during Knee Recovery
This knee brace offers you comfort and stability of the knee during knee recovery.
Therefore, as you carry out your normal duties you can jump, bend or even run without experiencing any pain in your knee joints.
Likewise, this knee brace provides good breathing space for your patella and the whole of your knee. Do not worry if you wear it for longer periods as the material used to make this product keeps the brace free of odors that can lead to discomfort.
It has 3 straps that ensures the knee brace sticks to its position as you work.
3. Active Relief Knee Brace – Best for Athletes Who Want To Train Longer During Injuries and Much More
Hurting your knee can really decrease the amount of time you spend in the gym or even in the play field. This can be discouraging to athletes whose desire is train longer.
Nevertheless, the Active Relief Knee Brace comes to solve that problem. Regardless of the pain you experience as you run or jump, you can now enjoy some comfort with this product.
It is available for both men and women. The knee brace embraces your knee as you wear it and stretches as it you fit to your knee. However, ensure that you read the size guide before you buy one.
You can also wear this brace to prevent any injuries as you train. In addition, patients with issues such as tendonitis, arthritis and osteoporosis as well as patients who are on physical therapy can use this product to reduce pain in these areas.
4. Bracoo Knee Support – Good for Knee Support during Weightlifting and Recovery
When I twisted my knee, I was looking for the perfect knee support. The Bracoo was the answer to all my problems.
The knee support brace keeps the joint in its place. In fact, it has a reinforced stabilizer ring that helps the kneecap stay firm in its position.
You can adjust the velcro straps according to how you prefer it to be so that it tightly fits/ holds to your knee. Its neoprene material is extra thick to provide maximum protection of the knee and ensure that blood flows continuously. This factor keeps you comfortable as you work or during strenuous activity.
However, you might scratch your skin if you do not place the velcro straps correctly.
5. DonJoy Legend SE-4 Knee Support Brace – Best Knee Comfort During Recovery and Instability
The DonJoy Legend is perfect for any knee complication; either severe or just moderate. The knee brace will provide support to any knee instability.
Therefore, during any strenuous exercise or activity, your knee is safe from past injuries.
Manufacturers use aircraft grade aluminum with a Kraton coating to keep the material free from corrosion or rust with changes in moisture and temperature. During knee movement, the DonJoy Legend moves together with it. This is because it contains 2 hinges for efficient movement.
6. EzyFit Knee Brace Support – Best for Knee Support During Sports, Exercise
If you want to protect your knee from harm during exercise or when playing any sport use the EzyFit Knee Brace Support. The knee brace provides knee support to patients with arthritis as well.
It comes with an open patella to ensure that the specific knee joint moves with ease during activity. It also has strong Velcro closures that ensure your knee is comfortable and to help move your knee naturally.
There are currently 3 sizes available so ensure that you get the right size for your knee.
7. McDavid 429X Hinged Knee Brace – Good for Knee Recovery and Much More
When I injured my knee, I almost lost hope of getting my knee back to its original state. It was not until I ordered this knee brace online.
The good news is that it did not disappoint.
This knee brace is comfortable. It gives your knee solace as it recovers from any injury. Also, after a knee surgery, it can keep your knee perfectly safe while you are in it.
With the McDavid 429X, you can perfectly carry out your daily activities without strain. Just ensure that you stretch out your legs at intervals if you are in sitting position. This will reduce any kind of stiffness that comes when your leg is idle.
The knee brace is latex free hence provides extra safety with patients with latex allergy. It is also customized to superbly fit your knee. It has two hinges and straps that you can use to adjust depending on the size of your knee.
8. Bauerfeind Sports Knee Support – Durable, Comfortable and Washable Knee Brace
A well-ventilated product made with air knit fabric that keeps the knee comfortable. The Bauerfeind sports knee support is durable, and you can wash when dirty.
It gives room for your knee to recover from any knee strains even when taking part in any sporting activity.
The knee support brace has a pad surrounding the kneecap to keep you comfortable because it spreads equal pressure to the knee as you run.
9. Bauerfeind GenuTrain Knee Support – Best for Knee Strains and Comfort during Healing
This knee support sleeve is unique because it contains silicone Omega that keeps the knee free of unwanted pressure on it. This leads to proper blood circulation around the knee area.
The Bauerfeind GenuTrain is breathable and can be used to control inflammation, strain and knee sprains. Also, users with arthritis should use this product as it massages your knee during healing or when doing demanding exercises.
Read the sizing chart provided before you buy any size.
10. Neo G Medical Grade VCS Adjusta Custom Fit Hinged Knee Brace – Good for Adjusting During Healing
Doctors advise that you should control how you move your knee when you are from a knee surgery or you a have any form of knee instability (such as arthritis or knee injury).
In that situation, this product provides comfort when you wear it. It has 2 gear hinges which you can use to turn depending on how much you want to control knee movement.
The Neo G comes in one size for all and is available for both men and women.
Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ)
One thing is for sure. Knee braces are not an alternative for a medical prescription. Therefore, you should wear the sleeve for the shortest time possible. This is because patients who get used to using them stick by them.
Wear them until you access medical supervision.
So there you have it, friends. A list of the 10 of the best knee braces in the market. All of them have the potential of giving very positive results. However, the Neo G Medical Grade VCS Adjusta Custom Fit Hinged Knee Brace takes the day in my opinion.
Tell us what you think about your best product in this category in the comment section. Leave a comment and share the article.