Experiencing back pain is a common thing especially in adults. Statistics show that around 80% of adults have complained of suffering from this pain. There can be many reasons behind it such as age or daily activities.
Sleeping on an improper mattress is also a cause for it. A mattress should be able to give the contouring and support that your body needs. Lack of support will make you sleep in a poor posture and will then result in back pain.
In this article, we will help you find the best mattress you are looking for to prevent back pain.
Table of Contents
- 1 10 Best Mattresses for Back Pain 2019
- 1.1 1. Tuft & Needle Mattress
- 1.2 2. Zinus Green Tea Mattress
- 1.3 3. Dynasty Mattress Cool Breeze
- 1.4 4. Sleep Innovations Memory Foam Mattress
- 1.5 5. Live and Sleep Resort Ultra Mattress
- 1.6 6. Classic Brands Cool Gel Ultimate Memory Foam Mattress
- 1.7 7. Perfect Cloud Elegance
- 1.8 8. Sleep Innovations Alden Memory Foam Mattress
- 1.9 9. Ultimate Dreams Queen Eurotop Latex Mattress
- 1.10 10. Snuggle-Pedic Mattress That Breathes
- 2 What Type of Mattresses Are Best for Back Pain?
- 3 How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- 4 Best Sleeping Position for Back Pain
- 5 Conclusion
10 Best Mattresses for Back Pain 2019
|Tuft & Needle Mattress||Medium||4.8|
|Zinus Memory Foam Green Tea Mattress||Firm||4.7|
|DynastyMattress Cool Breeze Mattress||Firm||4.7|
|Sleep Innovations Shiloh Mattress||Medium||4.7|
|Live and Sleep Resort Ultra Mattress||Medium||4.8|
|Classic Brands Cool Gel Ultimate Mattress||Medium-Plush||4.8|
|Perfect Cloud Elegance Gel-Pro Mattress||Plush||4.9|
|Sleep Innovations Alden Mattress||Plush||4.8|
|Ultimate Dreams Queen Eurotop Latex Mattress||Firm||4.9|
|Snuggle-Pedic Mattress That Breathes||Firm||4.9|
Tuft & Needle Mattress is made from high-quality materials; the pure and natural ingredients of the mattress offer you an amazing sleeping experience. You are able to give your back the right support and prevent chronic back pain.
The Tuft & Needle Mattress has just the right firmness you need to keep your back stable. It is neither too soft nor too hard. The medium level firmness allows the sleeper to slightly sink in the bed to give a good balance to the spinal cord. This gives an optimal balance for your back and you won’t wake up in the morning with stiffness in your spine
The comfort of Tuft & Needle starts with its two foam layers. The top layer of the mattress is made from poly foam with a density of 2.9 PCF. It is highly breathable and keeps you cool while you sleep peacefully. The bottom layer is the foundation base of the mattress which is designed to give you the support you need and gives relief to your pressure points.
- Made from premium-quality ingredients which makes it pressure relieving.
- Easy motion transfer and quick response.
- Allows you to keep the heat away with the cooling gel.
- 100-nights free trial, easy return policy, and amazing customer service.
- CertiPUR-US, GreenGuard Gold, OEKO-TEX certifications.
- The cover of the mattress is very thin.
- A heavy sleeper might find the mattress less supportive.
The Zinus Green Tea Mattress is a medium-firm level mattress which maintains the natural curvature of your body when you are sleeping. A mattress which is too hard might put pressure on your shoulders, back, and head. You might develop a bad back-ache. A soft-firm level mattress might cause your back to droop and increase pressure on your back.
Moreover, this mattress is constructed from three different layers which give the proper support and cushioning to your body. The top layer is made from memory foam which hugs your body properly. The second layer is engineered from a two-layer comfort foam which distributes the weight of your body evenly. The third layer of the mattress is a 5.5-inch layer which is crafted from air flow foam which keeps the mattress cool for a comfortable night’s sleep.
The Zinus Green Tea Mattress provides exceptional support for all sleepers. No matter what sleeping position you prefer, it gives you the comfort and support you need. The mattress offers optimal distribution of body weight. For people who sleep on their stomachs, the mattress keeps their spine aligned properly. Even those who sleep on their side would find it very comfortable to sleep on.
- No harmful materials are used to construct the mattress
- Minimal motion transfer
- Long-lasting and durable, it will stay with you for a long time
- The green tea extracts act as a smell retardant
- The motion transfer is a bit noticeable and might interrupt your sleep
- Back sleepers might find it too soft
Your mattress plays a vital role in providing you a comfortable sleep at night. If you are looking for a mattress which provides good support to your back, Dynasty mattress Cool Breeze is an excellent choice.
The Dynasty Mattress Cool Breeze bed possesses multiple layers. The three layers are engineered in a way to provide you a pain-free night. You won’t wake up complaining about back pain or a severe spinal ache. It comes with 3 inches of gel foam and 4 inches of foam which is made from cool airflow technology. The foundation base is 5 inches of high-density foam. The combinations of layers reduce pressure points and provide you the pain relief you look for in a mattress.
Moreover, the mattress is high-end and superior because it possesses the certification of CertiPUR-US. This means that the mattress is made from safe and toxic materials. They are not harmful to your health.
The Dynasty Mattress Cool Breeze comes with an exceptional warranty policy. The warranty of the mattress makes it authentic and reliable. The company gives you the confidence you need to choose the right mattress. You can experience a hassle-free trial period of 120 days. If you don’t find it comfortable, you can return it to the company easily without any issue. Moreover, if something happens to the mattress, you are able to get it repaired for up to 30 years.
- Very comfortable for people who have a problem with severe back pain
- The airflow technology keeps you cool all night
- Extremely durable and long-lasting
- The 30-year warranty policy is amazing
- Comes with the certification of Certi-PUR US
- Comes with a strong chemical smell which takes time to go away
If you don’t get enough sleep at night, you might not be able to have a good day when you wake up in the morning. A sleepless night makes it difficult for you to concentrate at work. However, if you sleep on a comfortable mattress that gives you good pressure relief, you’ll be able to perform your work better.
Sleep Innovations Memory Foam mattress is a Shiloh 12-inch memory foam mattress which is specially designed for you to sleep like a baby because it contours properly to your body.
The mattress comes with 2.5-inch suretemp memory foam which keeps you cool all night. You don’t have to wake up in the middle of the night feeling hot. The 9.5 inches support plus foam provides your back the balance and support it needs to reduce pressure.
Moreover, it comes with a warranty of 20 years. You can freely make the choice of buying this mattress without worrying about it needing to be repaired if it gets damaged.
In addition, this mattress gives you the head to toe comfort you need to wake up fresh in the morning. You are able to revitalize your body for a new start to each day.
The mattress is ideal for people who suffer from frequent back pain. The level of firmness is optimal for those who sleep on their back because it is neither too soft nor too hard. Your body won’t sink into the mattress. Shiloh mattress is comprised of two layers, the suretemp memory foam and the support plus foam which gives it a duo comfort design.
- Ideal for all sleeping positions
- Provides great support and comfort
- Prevents back pain and unbearable aches
- 20 year limited warranty
- Some people might find the mattress a bit too soft
An ideal mattress is the one which gives your back optimal support and cushioning. Live and Sleep Resort Ultra Mattress comes with 8.5 inches of a high-density foundation base which gives your back balance and steadiness. The 2.5-inch premium air flow memory foam wicks away the heat and keeps you cool all night.
Moreover, it comes with a luxurious cover which is soft and breathable. It provides you a cloud-like feeling. While sleeping on this mattress, you’ll get a feeling of floating on clouds.
In addition, it comes with a medium firmness level. The combination of the body contour and medium-firm support helps you attain a deep night’s sleep.
It is not surprising to say that the Live and Sleep Resort Ultra mattress is ideal for back sleepers because they get an optimal comfort from head to toe.
If you share your bed, you don’t want to interrupt their sleep when you change positions. The Live and Sleep Resort Ultra Mattress gives you very little sinkage ability and optimal motion transfer. If your partner moves a lot while sleeping, this is the best mattress for the both of you. You won’t feel them tossing and turning.
- Exceptional motion transfer
- No odor of any chemicals.
- Some people find it too soft
The Cool Gel Memory Foam Mattress is a 14 inch extremely thick mattress which comes with great comfort. It is a very soft mattress and is recommended for deep night sleepers who really want to have the ultra-comfortable night.
The top of the mattress is made up of a stretch knit cover. It is beneficial for you because it is an ultra-thin material so there is a very little obstruction between you and the comfortable padding underneath it.
When you are getting into bed, your main goal is to have a stress relief, pain-free, good night’s sleep. This mattress offers this option. Just under the cover of the mattress, you’ll find two inches of ventilated gel foam. This is polyurethane foam which has gel mixed into it. The gel adds benefits to the polyurethane foam as it becomes soft and gives relief to the pressure points of the body. So when you lie down on the mattress it gives you a perfect night’s sleep.
Another important feature of the mattress is that just below the polyurethane foam, there is a two-inch layer of cool gel memory foam, which is memory foam with added gel. This is beneficial as the memory foam gives comfort to the body and the gel helps in the regulation of the body temperature. Memory foam also gives enhanced pressure relief and durability to the mattress.
- There is an extra layer of polyurethane at the bottom which provides maximum comfort and softness.
- The mattress comes with two bonus pillows.
- The knit cover at the top provides an evenness to the mattress.
- The memory foam will have a consistent feel through the lifetime of the mattress.
- Beautiful and comfortable design.
- The mattress is firm at first but softens after a few weeks.
- Some people considered the delivery packaging to be of poor quality.
- The cooling gel has a strong smell when the mattress is new.
If you are looking for elegant, comfortable and an economical mattress then the Perfect Cloud Elegance Gel-Pro mattress is what you are looking for. Its uniqueness lies in the fact that it has double layers of Visco gel that provides you as much comfort as possible.
The top is made up of high quality knit cover which is removable so you can wash it or remove it if you don’t want it. It is also soft and plush which gives you a warm cozy feeling.
The bottom of the bed is 7.5 inch HD base support foam which gives comfort and support. On the top of it, there is a 2-inch layer of Gel Pro Memory foam which is top quality. In addition to adding evenness to the mattress, it also gives substantial feeling to the foam. The increased evenness and comfort increases the quality of the sleep.
On top of that, there is 1.5 inches Air-infused memory foam and 1 inch HD infused memory foam. These layers are added to give you the weightless, stress-free and comfortable experience of a perfect night’s sleep.
- Medium soft feel
- Packaged well, nicely sealed Less odor than memory foam
- Very comfortable for people having strained neck muscles and backache
- Unpacking is a two-person job
- Found to be too firm
- The heat gets trapped in the mattress
If you are looking for a luxuriously thick mattress, with cradling comfort and extra durability then the Sleep Innovations mattress is what you are looking for. It is medium soft hence ideal for people having average body weight.
Another good feature of the mattress is the memory foam on the top layer. Being on the top layer it provides the essential comfort to the body. It is ideal for people who sleep on their side. It is also helpful in providing firm support to the body. The firm mattress allows the sore neck, shoulder and back muscles to relax naturally while the Memory Foam gives the sustainability and durability of the mattress.
The second and third layers of the mattress are Breezy (2.5-inch Air Channel Foam) and Durable Support (9-inch Deep Support Foam) respectively. As the name suggests the Breezy air channel foam is for the proper ventilation providing relief to the painful pressure points of the body. The durable support provides structural sustainability to the mattress.
- Odor-free memory foam
- Durable for a long period of time
- Effective for sore muscular pain
- Some users found it too firm when new
If you are looking for maximum support with durability then the Ultimate Queen Eurotop Mattress is the best option. It is designed according to your needs and manufactured according to your preferences. The mattress is lined with Euro-top which is very soft. This is the extra layer of 1.5 inches super soft reflex foam stitched to the top of the mattress. This material lines up neatly to the edges and is comfortable to the touch.
Another quality of the mattress is that it has 3 inch Talalay Latex layer. It has holes and allows the air to pass through them in the mattress. This allows the mattress to shape according to the unique body contours providing orthopedic support and superior pressure relief to the user.
The cover of the mattress is very soft because it is made up of 100% biodegradable bamboo fibers. This results in proper ventilation, soft to touch, hypoallergenic and antibacterial properties and excellent durability.
- You can customize the mattress according to your needs
- The temperature returns normal within a short time
- Edge support is great on sides
- Edge support is lacking on the corners
A snuggle-pedic mattress is a great option for those who sleep on their side, stomach, and back. It keeps any back pain away by giving you the orthopedic support that you want. This mattress has a two-layer structure. The softer memory foam and the channeled base layer. These duo act as a pressure relieving system and keeps you in an optimum position all night.
The snuggle-pedic mattress is not like any ordinary foam mattress. It contains patented Airflow Transfer System, which makes it more breathable than many others. Thousands of small holes on the surface are responsible for connecting to the airflow channels. This means that your mattress remains cool even in hot summers. It greatly reduces body heat build-up and gives you a cooler sleep. So, you won’t have to get up in the middle of the night feeling uncomfortable.
The snuggle-pedic mattress has a zipper removable cover. This is a kool-flow cover made of viscose from bamboo. This hypo-allergenic cover allows breathability with an easy on and off quality. This also allows the adjustment of firmness in case you want.
- The company gives four months free trial
- Works well with all bases
- All sizes are available
- Certi-PUR certified.
- Worth the money
- It may lose its shape over time.
- It seems warm with the addition of comfort pads.
What Type of Mattresses Are Best for Back Pain?
Your muscles and spine need the best support when you sleep, otherwise, you will wake up feeling sore and tired each day. For this, you need to have a comfortable mattress in your room.
- The types which are the most suitable for back pain are usually latex or memory foam and they should be of good quality.
- High-quality foam mattresses will help adjust according to the body mass. This keeps your spine, shoulders, hips and back in perfect alignment.
- Plusher firmness level in mattresses is not good when considering the back pain. People who switched to medium firm and firm reported less back pain. Consider the type of a mattress with a firmness level that is neither too soft nor too firm.
- Although memory foams are the best for this type of pain, there are premium options too. Many companies are now selling mattresses with the focus on pain relief. They are of premium range and are not prone to sagging.
- Your spin has three curves; cervical, thoracic and lumber. Therefore, it is necessary to choose the mattress which is gentle on your spine.
- Spring foams also help to decrease back pain. However, they are not better than memory or latex when it comes to complete relief. Also, there should be no gaps between your body and the top surface.
- There are many options available that are intended to reduce back pain. One of them is the Snuggle-Pedic, it is one of the best mattresses for the back pain.
How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
A simple guide to choosing the best mattress for your back pain can save you from further inconvenience.
1. Latex vs. Memory Foam vs. Spring
Personal preference is necessary for deciding on a mattress. Understanding the components of the mattress is very important. Usually, memory or latex foams of good quality are essential for those with back pain. But, if you are buying a spring mattress, a number of springs are important. For a heavier weight, a number of coils should be there to properly contour to the body. The downside of memory foam is that they can trap heat. So, buy the one which has a breathable material in its construction.
2. Firmness Level
There is no rule as to what level of firmness to choose for your back pain. But, the research shows that medium firm or firm is an ideal level of firmness. This level gives you the optimum amount of support so as to relieve pressure on back and joints.
Airbeds or latex mattresses are helpful for people with back pain but they can be costly. A good alternative is memory foam because they are cheaper and give a good amount of support.
4. Material/Toxin Chemicals
When buying, take care of the quality of the mattress. It should not contain any harmful chemicals. Most of the good quality mattresses are safe for one’s health. It is best to buy those rather than wasting your money on poor quality.
Best Sleeping Position for Back Pain
If you are suffering from back pain, changing your sleeping posture can help you.
- Do not leave any gaps between your body and bed. Your shoulders either left or right should be in contact with the mattress. Adding pillows around your waist can give added support.
- The reclined position is also good for treating back pain. There are adjustable beds available for this.
- Sleeping on the stomach may also help you. For this, place a pillow underneath the abdomen because this will raise the mid-section. Place a flat pillow to underneath your head. This can also improve spinal alignment.
Having a comfortable night’s sleep is important for everybody. But, back pain can negatively impact your night. There is no definite statement regarding what the best mattress is for back pain. Everyone has different preferences when it comes to buying a mattress.
But, the one above by Snuggle-Pedic is especially useful in treating this issue. It relieves pressure on your back and spine. Its material is breathable and of good quality.
Price is another factor which can be praised. Sleeping in a proper position and changing the mattress can help in avoiding back pain. With a comfortable mattress, you can have a peaceful night’s sleep every night.