It’s happened to all of us. You need to move an overflowing pot off the stove or take a pie out of the oven before it burns…but all you have on hand is a dishtowel or a potholder.
The end result is all but inevitable: burned hands and possibly even a ruined meal.
The solution is, as we’re sure you’ve guessed, to buy an oven mitt! Like with most important purchases, however, there is a lot to consider when shopping for heat protection.
To help you make the most informed decision possible, we’ve compiled some helpful information for you about oven mitts, as well as a list of what we feel are the best oven mitts currently on the market.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why Do I Need a Good Oven Mitt?
- 2 How to Choose the Best Oven Mitt
- 3 Our Top 6 Best Oven Mitts of 2018 – Reviews and Comparison
- 3.1 1. Coililly Kitchen Cooking Gloves – Best Choice for Heat Protection Combined with Ease of Use
- 3.2 2. Ove’ Glove – Best Choice for Extreme Heat Protection
- 3.3 3. The Kitchen Haven Silicone Oven Mitts – Best Choice for Easy Clean-up
- 3.4 4. The Triumphant Chef Silicone Oven Mitts – Best Choice for Personalization
- 3.5 5. Mastrad Orka Plus Oven Mitt – Best Choice for Durability
- 3.6 6. RedLantana Silicone Oven Mitts – Best Choice for Wrist and Forearm Protection
- 4 Types of Oven Mitts on the Market
- 5 How to Clean Your Oven Mitts
- 6 Conclusion
Why Do I Need a Good Oven Mitt?
Cooking mitts are an important item to have in your kitchen, even if you don’t cook very often. Many pots, pans, and cookware are made out of materials that conduct heat very well; while this is good for cooking your food, it also means that it is easy to burn yourself on those same dishes.
Since burns aren’t fun to deal with in any situation, it’s important to have an extra layer of protection between your hands and whatever hot item you’re grabbing.
Some people use potholders or dishtowels, but these don’t provide adequate protection for your wrists and forearms. Therefore, to avoid the pain and related complications of scalds and burns acquired in the kitchen, it’s a good idea to invest in a pair of oven mitts to ensure your safety while cooking.
How to Choose the Best Oven Mitt
Here are some things to keep in mind when shopping for oven mitts:
1. Purpose – What you intend to use your oven mitt for is an important factor to consider; are you using it for baking, grilling, or just everyday stove-top use? Different activities might necessitate the use of differently sized or shaped gloves.
2. Material – What your oven mitts are made of can impact how much heat they are able to withstand; this also affects cleaning and maintaining them over time.
3. Heat Resistance – How much heat an oven mitt can handle is one of the most important qualities to consider; some mitts can handle only up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit, while others can withstand up to 500 degrees.
4. Ease of Use – How hard it is to effectively use a given oven mitt is also important to consider; some mitts are stiffer and harder to move in, while other types are more like gloves, adding an extra level of dexterity.
Our Top 6 Best Oven Mitts of 2018 – Reviews and Comparison
There is a wide variety of oven mitts to choose from. To help you narrow down your search, we’ve compiled a list of our top choices.
|Coililly Kitchen Cooking Gloves||Fiber||12.0 oz||4.8|
|Ove’ Glove||Fiber||9.6 oz||4.8|
|The Kitchen Haven Silicone Oven Mitts||Silicone||12.5 oz||4.9|
|The Triumphant Chef Silicone Oven Mitts||Silicone||13.6 oz||5.0|
|Mastrad Orka Plus Oven Mitt||Silicone||7.0 oz||4.9|
|RedLantana Silicone Oven Mitts||Silicone||5.6 oz||4.9|
1. Coililly Kitchen Cooking Gloves – Best Choice for Heat Protection Combined with Ease of Use
Made of special heat-resistant fibers, these are a good choice if you want excellent heat protection coupled with ease of use.
Not only are they both light-weight and machine-washable, they have a unique texture that provides a non-slip grip, a definite plus to have when cooking, grilling, or baking.
The fabric they are made of is durable yet also flexible and breathable, making them both safe and comfortable for your hands.
2. Ove’ Glove – Best Choice for Extreme Heat Protection
The Ove’GLove’s unique design make it a good choice if you need protection from heat ranging up to 540 degrees Fahrenheit. The outer layer of material on the Ove’Glove is made of DuPont Nomex and Kevlar, the same heat, flame, and damage resistant materials used by firefighters.
Not only is the glove machine-washable, the interior layer of double-knit cotton is incredibly soft, making the glove both tough and comfortable, while also easy to clean.
The Ove’Glove is available for purchase individually (left hand or right hand) and also in a package containing gloves for both hands.
3. The Kitchen Haven Silicone Oven Mitts – Best Choice for Easy Clean-up
These mitts from Kitchen Haven have both a strong silicone shell on the outside and a comfortable cotton lining on the inside, making them both sturdy and comfy. The cuff portion of the mitts is also slightly longer than that of other brands, providing additional protection for your wrists and forearms.
The outer shell is reportedly incredibly flexible, and combined with the raised pattern makes it easy to get a good grip on things. It’s is also easy to clean; all you need to do with wipe it down with a damp cloth or even just run it through the dishwasher and air-dry it.
They are rated for temperatures up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, and the bright red color makes them easy to find even in the busiest of kitchens.
4. The Triumphant Chef Silicone Oven Mitts – Best Choice for Personalization
Another pair of mitts with a silicone shell rated for up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, these mitts are super flexible with a 100% cotton lining.
Because of the silicone shell, they are also water and oil proof, making for easy clean-up in the event of spills or messes. They are also sized and designed so that almost anyone can use them, even people with small hands.
As with most silicone mitts, you can simply wash them in your sink by hand and use them again immediately. They are also available for purchase in six different colors: black, yellow, red, green, blue and purple, so you can buy whichever color you prefer and add a touch of personalization.
5. Mastrad Orka Plus Oven Mitt – Best Choice for Durability
This oven mitt also has a strong silicone shell, but in this case the mitt is capable of handling temperatures up to 480 degrees Fahrenheit.
In this mitt, the cotton lining is also removable and machine-washable, while the silicone shell itself can be washed or rinsed by hand with minimal fuss or put through the dishwasher if you don’t have time to wash it by hand.
These oven mitts are also reported to last a long time after purchase; some customers report having their Orka mitts for six or seven years with no problems whatsoever.
6. RedLantana Silicone Oven Mitts – Best Choice for Wrist and Forearm Protection
Also with an easy to clean silicone outer shell, these mitts have an extra long quilted lining that will protect your wrists and forearms from burns and heat. The total length of these mittens is 15 inches, making it one of the longest and therefore one of the most protective on the market.
The non-slip textured silicone makes is useful not just for gripping pots, pans, and casserole dishes but also for getting open tightly sealed jars and bottles, making this oven mitt useful for other things besides simply dealing with hot dishes.
It is a bright red color to make it easy to find with a loop on the end for easy storage; it also comes with a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee.
Types of Oven Mitts on the Market
There are, as we’re sure you’ve noticed, a wide variety of oven mitts out there to choose from. They range from simple cloth mittens that provide basic protection to more advanced types made of heat-resistant materials. Here is a basic list of the types of oven mitts available on the market:
1. Conventional: These are the standard oven mitts that most of us are familiar with; they are made of layers of sturdy cloth and insulation and treated with flame retardant finishes. These mitts can typically handle heat up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Neoprene: These oven mitts are made of, as the name suggests, neoprene, a type of synthetic rubber that provides an easy-grip surface on the mitt. These mitts are easy to clean, and are rated for up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Silicone: A good choice for heavy-duty protection, these also provide a strong grip when used and are rated for up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
Oven mitts also come in a variety of sizes and lengths. Shorter mitts are fine for average tasks like handling hot pots and pans, but longer oven mitts are recommended for reaching into an oven. Make sure to choose an oven mitts appropriate for your needs.
How to Clean Your Oven Mitts
Regardless of which specific brand of oven mitt you purchase, it’s important to remember to take good care of them so that they last. The most important aspect of upkeep is, of course, keeping them clean and washing them when they need it.
Most oven mitts will come with care instructions or even a tag on the inside explaining how to clean and maintain them; it’s probably a good idea to familiarize yourself with your oven mitts’ care instructions so that you don’t accidentally damage it while washing it.
Typically, cloth oven mitts are machine-washable, while mitts made out of neoprene or silicone must be cleaned by hand.
As always, we hope that the information we’ve provided for you in this article is of use to you on your quest to find the perfect oven mitt. Just try to remember some of the key points we’ve mentioned and you should have no trouble finding an oven mitt that is both safe and easy to use and maintain. Happy shopping!