Most women consider pregnancy to be a magical phase in their lives and even though we are prepared for what’s coming no one is usually fully prepared for the changes. As your body changes to accommodate the precious life you are carrying so will your routine and lifestyle.
Getting a comfortable sleeping position become challenging as the pregnancy progresses. Investing in pre-natal accessories such as best pregnancy pillow will make your life more comfortable. Pregnancy pillows are also known as maternity pillows.
Table of Contents
- 1 8 Best Pregnancy (Maternity) Pillow Reviews 2019
- 1.1 1. Leachco Back ‘N Belly Contoured Body Pillow – Best for Back, Neck, and Belly Support
- 1.2 2. Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow – Best for Sensitive and Highly Allergic Moms
- 1.3 3. Snuggle Up Collection: L-shaped Pillow – Good for Nursing After Birth
- 1.4 4. PharMeDoc Total Body Pillow – Awesome for Pregnant Moms Experiencing Back Pains
- 1.5 5. Today’s Mom Cozy Comfort – Good for Full Body Support
- 1.6 6. Meiz U-shaped Full Body Pregnancy Pillow – Good for Women with Suffering from Edema
- 1.7 7. Naomi Home Cozy Body Pillow – Best Economical Pillow
- 1.8 8. Leachco Back N’ Belly Chic Pregnancy Pillow – Best Choice for Side Sleepers
- 2 Benefits and Drawbacks of Pregnancy Pillow
- 3 Types of Pregnancy Pillows
- 4 How to Choose the Best Pregnancy Pillow
- 5 How to Use a Pregnancy Pillow Effectively
- 6 Conclusion
8 Best Pregnancy (Maternity) Pillow Reviews 2019
The major brands in the market produce some of the most reputable brands, but we analyzed some of the best-reviewed pregnancy pillows in the market to come up with a list of top pregnancy pillows of 2019.
|Leachco Back ‘N Belly Contoured Body Pillow||51.0 x 33.5 x 8.8||4.7|
|Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow||60.0 x 24.8 x 7.2||4.8|
|Snuggle Up Collection: L-shaped Pillow||54.0 x 28.0 x 8.0||4.9|
|PharMeDoc Total Body Pillow||61.8 x 29.1 x 5.9||4.8|
|Today’s Mom Cozy Comfort||56.0 x 32.0 x 9.0||4.7|
|Meiz U-shaped Full Body Pregnancy Pillow||55.0 x 30.7 x 6.3||4.9|
|Naomi Home Cozy Body Pillow||53.0 x 34.0 x 8.0||4.8|
|Leachco Back N’ Belly Chic Pregnancy Pillow||31.0 x 21.0 x 16.0||4.8|
1. Leachco Back ‘N Belly Contoured Body Pillow – Best for Back, Neck, and Belly Support
It is the top selling maternity pillow in the market today, and the features of this pillow are just awesome. The unique U-shaped pillow eliminates the need to use multiple pillows as it supports your back, belly, neck, and legs- the major pressure points during pregnancy. It is convenient especially for people who are not used to side sleeping and will turn sides during the night because it provides support on either side.
The pillow is made from a blend of polyester and cotton to enhance comfortability and ventilation. The material is suitable for people who are allergic and also reduces stress on pressure points and occurrence of heartburn and edema. The pillow is long enough, so you will not need something to support your legs.
- Removable cover makes it easy to wash
- Fine texture and attractive ivory appearance.
- Firm and comfortable
- Provides full body support
- Minimizes cases of nasal congestion and heartburn
- It is quite heavy compared to other maternity pillows
- It requires a big space and may inconvenience the person you are sleeping with
2. Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow – Best for Sensitive and Highly Allergic Moms
This is a very reputable brand that has been on the market for years, and they have never disappointed with their maternity pillow designs. Leachco Snoogle is a C-shaped that provides a full body support. The pillow targets you back, baby bump, neck, and legs.
The material used to manufacture the cover is a blend of cotton and polyester. The fillings are 100 percent polyester fiber to increase ventilation and enable machine wash.
The shape is convenient even after birth as you can use it to nurse your baby or use it as a barrier to prevent your baby from rolling off the bed. The versatility of this pillow makes it outstanding as you can use it for rest, sleep, nursing, and other different were that can relieve your pressure points.
- It is multipurpose
- It can be used after birth
- It has a removable and washable cover
- It is hypoallergenic
- It requires a lot of space
- It is too firm for some women
3. Snuggle Up Collection: L-shaped Pillow – Good for Nursing After Birth
This pillow comes from a collection of various shapes of the pillow which includes C, L, V, and U. all the shapes are designed to relieve pressure on certain areas of your body. The L-shaped pillow is one of the best designs in this collection because it offers a full body support. It is however convenient for expectant women who do not suffer from back pains because it does not offer much back support.
The pillow comes with a removable cover that allows you to machine wash. Apart from it being sleek and stylish, this pillow comes in a variety of seven different colors making it flexible and easy to blend with your interior design. You can use the pillow even after birth to help you in feeding your baby.
- Comes with an array of different colors
- Easy to clean
- You can use even after birth
- Premium edition are coated with lavender
- It does not offer back support
4. PharMeDoc Total Body Pillow – Awesome for Pregnant Moms Experiencing Back Pains
This is one of the few unique pillows that provide full body support and has a guaranteed longevity. The PharMeDoc Total Body Pillow will give you a neck to toes support and also your back. It is convenient for any expectant mom who tosses and turns during the night trying to find the right sleeping position.
The pillow is made from cotton which provides a good air circulation and comfort during rest- all the other blended material in this pillow are guaranteed to be safe for pregnant women and hypoallergenic.
One of the amazing features of this pillow is the zipped removable cover. Say goodbye to the hustle of uncovering your pillow when you want to wash them.
- You can use it for nursing
- Zippered removable cover
- It is hypoallergenic
- Provides full body support
- It is quite bulky
- It is expensive
5. Today’s Mom Cozy Comfort – Good for Full Body Support
If your woman or friend is expectant, the Today’s Mom Cozy Comfort is one of the best prenatal accessories that you can get them. The pillow is made from a blend of cotton and polyester to provide a comfortable and cozy feeling for moms-to-be.
The materials are favorable for people who are allergic because they are highly hypoallergenic. They are convenient for all trimesters as it can support a big baby bump and also can be used after birth for nursing or create a barrier.
The head support of these pillows is designed in a square shaped to provide maximum support. If you are tall, you don’t have to worry about getting the head to toe support because this pillow is long enough to engulf you in it.
- It has an awesome head support
- Balanced softness and firmness
- Zippered removable cover that can be machine washed
- Well ventilated pillow
- Requires you to have a big sleeping space
6. Meiz U-shaped Full Body Pregnancy Pillow – Good for Women with Suffering from Edema
If you are thinking about getting a U-shaped maternity pillow that naturally conforms to your body to give you a sweet night sleep, then you may want to consider the Meiz Full Body maternity pillow.
It is made of 100% cotton cover that are highly breathable, and the fillings are polyester. The material is proved to be safe and are chemical free and hypoallergenic. The pillow provides an amazing back, neck, baby bump, legs, and shoulders when you are side sleeping. In addition to that, the pillow can be used for other purposes like elevating your legs while seated or when you want to relieve stress on your pressure points and maintain a proper spine alignment.
- Medium firmness
- Breathable material
- Provides full body support
- It can be used even after birth
- It is not fluffy as it appears in the images
7. Naomi Home Cozy Body Pillow – Best Economical Pillow
This pillow is cozy as the name suggests. You are guaranteed to use it for a long period because it is designed to resist deflating over a prolonged period of use like other pillows in the market.
The top of this pillow is designed like the traditional everyday use pillows to give your head and neck maximum support. The medium firmness provides your growing baby bump and back an awesome support so that you wake up rejuvenated and ready for the day. When you are expectant you become very sensitive, and that makes your hygiene a priority- that’s why the design of the removable covers are zipped for efficient machine wash.
- Resists deflation because of normal use
- Zipped removable cover
- Medium firmness
- Too big when using a queen size bed
8. Leachco Back N’ Belly Chic Pregnancy Pillow – Best Choice for Side Sleepers
The outer cotton fabric gives you a soft and cozy feeling during sleep. The Leachco Back N’ Belly Chic is a darling as it caters for every expectant mother by providing support to all the right places.
One thing about this pillow is that whether you face the left or right side, it will still give you maximum support. So don’t worry about switching sides in the middle of the night.
The cover is also designed with a zipper to make cleaning it much easier. You can still maintain the bond with your pillow even after birth because by reversing it will provide the best nursing position. The fillings are 100% polyester so don’t worry about the chemical smell of weird fillings sounds.
- Easy to clean
- Can be used after birth
- Soft feel
- It is quite huge
Benefits and Drawbacks of Pregnancy Pillow
Women are different, and every woman carries weight in different places during pregnancy. As the baby bump grows most women suffer from back pain, swollen feet, and neck pain and it becomes necessary for them to find a proper resting position to relieve the pain. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of using pregnancy pillow:
Benefits of Pregnancy Pillow
1. Promotes Blood Circulation
Side sleeping is the most recommended sleep position for moms-to-be. Pregnancy pillows reduce the pressure that your baby bump exerts on the primary blood vessels in the chest and abdominal region by putting your body in an elevated position. Leg edema is a condition that most pregnant women face, but pregnancy pillows allow you to elevate your body during rest thus balancing the extracellular and intracellular fluids which prevent edema.
2. Use After Pregnancy
Pregnancy pillows are not limited to pregnancy only. It is very convenient when nursing or feeding your infant. The pillows are designed to provide a comfortable resting position that can limit your movement while feeding or monitoring the youngster. The pillow can also be used as a barrier when you are co-sleeping with your baby in the same bed. It can be used in two ways i.e. to prevent you from rolling over your baby or on the edge of the bed to prevent our baby from rolling off the bed.
3. Improves Your Quality of Sleep
It is important for an expectant mother to get high-quality sleep for a healthy development of their pregnancy and themselves. However, the quality of sleep is usually interrupted by the tossing and turning during sleep trying to find a comfortable sleeping position. Pregnancy pillows are ergonomically designed to provide maximum support and comfort for moms-to-be. It eliminates the discomfort during sleep that comes with growing baby bump. The pillows also relieve stress from your baby pump, back, legs, and promotes proper alignment of your spine.
The hormonal changes during pregnancy increase your vulnerability to an allergic reaction to some of the things you do not have a history of allergic reaction to. Regular pillows are known to trigger respiratory or skin allergies to some expectant mothers. A pregnancy pillow is highly hypoallergenic to reduce any chances of allergic reaction or irritability.
5. Increases Comfort
There is a wide variety of pregnancy pillows’ shapes and sizes. Some are specifically designed to relieve pressure on certain parts of your body such as the legs, back, neck, or your belly. Relieve of pressure reduces the pains that are experienced during pregnancy as a result of an accumulation of pressure.
Pregnancy pillows are great, but they also have their flaws. One of the common complaints is that some pregnancy pillows are too firm. Another thing is the price of the pillows; they are expensive than the ordinary pillows. It becomes a challenge for couples working on a tight budget to acquire them. Apart from these minor shortcomings, the pregnancy pillows are an awesome investment for pregnant women.
Types of Pregnancy Pillows
Pregnancies are unique because each of them has its set of challenges. The different types of pregnancy pillows available on the market are designed to fit different needs of an expectant mother. Here are some of the types of pregnancy pillows available to help you decide which type of pillow suits your needs.
This is one of the widely used types of a pregnancy pillow. It is designed to encompass your body inside the pillow providing maximum support to your belly, back, neck, and legs. They are usually 5 or 6 feet long. They are highly recommended for expectant women who experience back pains. The pillow comes in two styles to ensure maximum efficiency:
U-Shaped: This pregnancy pillow is used in a hugging position to provide support for your baby bump and back. It is an ideal choice for expectant mothers with a big baby bump.
C-Shaped: Its design encourages you to use it in a riding position. The back of the C provides your back with maximum support while the edge provides your legs and neck with the necessary support.
If you are aligning multiple pillows in your bed to sleep comfortably, then you might find this pregnancy pillow handy. It is a single straight pillow that is designed to run along the length of your body. However, this type of pillow does not have back support and expectant mothers who do not experience back pains may find it convenient. This kind of pillow also comes in two different designs:
Straight full-length pregnancy pillow: These are like regular pillows that we use in our everyday life, but the difference is the stretched length.
Flexible full-length pillows: They are more comfortable and can easily assume your body shape. However, they are more expensive than the usual pregnancy pillows.
They are the cheapest form of a pregnancy pillow. They assume the shape of a wedge, and they are designed to relieve pressure on your baby bump or back. One of the impressive features about this pillow is that you can use it even after pregnancy. It has a compact size which makes using it easy if you are sharing the bed with your partner or any other person without making them feel uncomfortable. The wedge pillow can also be used under another pillow to elevate it to reduce pregnancy reflux and heartburn. One of the shortcomings of the wedge pillow is that it can only support a specific area. Most of the time you will need another pillow to give your neck the necessary support.
How to Choose the Best Pregnancy Pillow
The market is saturated with products that will confuse you immediately you set your foot out to buy something. The types of pillow you want is a great way of choosing a pillow but knowing what to look for is a bonus on your quest. Here are factors you should look for when going to shop for the best pregnancy pillow:
1. The Material/Filling
Almost all the pregnancy pillows are made of hypoallergenic material. However, the material of the pillow will determine the longevity and comfort that it provides. Some of the best pillow material should be removable for easy wash. Materials that allow machine wash without losing their desirable properties are a plus. Some materials are highly ventilated than others. Materials that are well ventilated provide a cool sleeping environment.
The fillings is another factor that will help you choose a pillow that will conveniently work for you. Most of the time the fillings determine the price of the pillow. Here are some of the traditional fillings used in pregnancy pillows:
- Memory Foam – It is widely used because of its ability to conform to your body reducing the pressure points. This reduces the back pains, neck, and feet. However, memory foam comes with a nasty chemical smell that needs to be aired for a couple of days before use. They are usually more expensive than other pillows.
- Styrofoam Ball – These are lightweight materials that are usually made from polystyrene. The pillows also have air space to provide more support and make the pillow more comfortable. However, the pillows made from these fillings are noisy, and most women use these pillows for resting and not prolonged sleep.
- Micro-beads – These are tiny beads are lightweight and less noisy than Styrofoam Ball. They have a smooth and soft property that makes them more comfortable and cozy.
- Polyester Fiber – This filling has the same property like memory form because they mold around your body to give you a comfortable rest. They relieve stress from the pressure points making you sleep like a baby. However, they are not firm enough, and when used for a long period they tend to lose their original shape. They retain heat during warm seasons which may make them uncomfortable to use.
- Organic and Natural Filing – They are made natural fillings that are environmental-friendly and well ventilated. The natural material used are mostly bamboo, kapok, or wool. However, most of them are not machine washable and lose their shape after some time.
2. Size and Shape
The pressure points during pregnancy usually vary from one woman to another. There are various shapes and sizes of pregnancy pillows available in the market to fit various needs of expectant moms. There are shapes such as wedge pillows that target certain areas such as back, neck, or belly. The sizes of the pillow will depend on the size of your sleeping space and your partner’s comfortability. Total body pregnancy pillows require a lot of space compared to full-length or wedge pregnancy pillows.
The shape of the pillow will determine the support that the pillow provides and the areas that it will target. The U-shape and C-shape pillows are more preferred shapes by most expectant moms. They provide support to your baby pump, legs, and back. However, the shape of the pillow will depend on your pressure points.
The level of support you need will determine the firmness of the pillow that you will buy. Soft pillows provide less support compared to firm pillows. When you need resting pillows soft-firm pillows provide a nice comfort while to sleep throughout the night, you will need a more firm pillow.
4. Your Budget
The will also determine the type of pillow that you will settle for. Plan your budget and see which pillows will be more efficient for you. Pillows with more complex shapes or made of certain types of material such as memory foam are more expensive compared to others. The brands in the market also vary in prices because of the quality of pillows that they manufacture.
How to Use a Pregnancy Pillow Effectively
When you have the best maternity pillow using it correctly maximizes your chances of receiving its full benefits. Although most pillows come with a manual, here are clear ways on how to use a maternity pillow properly:
- Check the specifications: maternity pillows are designed to address certain needs. Check areas that are recommended for the pillow to give support. If it’s a full body support pillow, then start by supporting our head and neck.
- Position the maternity pillow under your baby bump to eliminate the pressure it exerts on you while sleeping. Most expectant women are advised to sleep on their sides, so it will be easy for you to position the pillow.
- Place the pillow between our legs to reduce fluid imbalance that may cause edema. You can hug the pillow to eliminate pressure on all your major joints.
- Support your back properly by avoiding a curved sleeping posture. Put the pillow close to your back and release your weight on it to hold it in place and unburden your spine.
The Leachco Back ‘N Belly Contoured Body Pillow takes the top position because it conveniently serves all women. The U-shaped design and high-quality material provide efficient support to almost all the pressure points that a woman may experience during pregnancy. It is easy to clean, and the soft fabric assures you of a good quality sleep throughout the night.
The Naomi Home Cozy maternity pillow is worth your money if you are working on a tight budget. It has a prolonged longevity and serves your needs just like any other pillow in the list. It’s a pretty good deal getting a pillow with all those features at a reduced price.
Expectant moms need a good quality sleep to maintain their health and also the pregnancy. Maternity pillows reduce some of the pressure that women face during pregnancy such as swollen legs, backache, and tossing and turning throughout the night trying to find the right sleeping position. This pillows can be a great prenatal accessory investment that will make the pregnancy memorable. Moms are the best they need to be pampered by such gifts.