Children are delicate. Every mother’s dream is to see their babies all grown up and healthy.
Sleep is crucial to the health and development of a child. That is why doctors advise that mothers should ensure that their child’s sleeping environment is right for them. Placing unnecessary things on the bed can cause the baby to suffocate and maybe pass on (which is the worst-case scenario).
Every parent argues whether or not you should consider placing a pillow on your toddler’s bed.
There are many opinions raised by different parents around the world.
However, pediatricians suggest that it is safer not to use a pillow when your child is below two years. They also advise that you should use these toddler pillows only when you move your baby from the crib to a bigger childbed. Others think that it is okay to use at whatever age.
Based on these few facts, is it right to use a toddler pillow to help your baby sleep better? Do you think that your child should sleep without the pillow?
If he/she cannot sleep without a pillow, then which is the right one to buy? Remember, babies have a smaller body structure compared to that of adults.
In this article, we will review everything you need to know about toddler pillows. We will also give you a list of 8 best toddler pillows that you can find on the market.
Table of Contents
- 1 When Can a Baby Sleep with a Pillow?
- 2 How to Choose the Best Toddler Pillow
- 3 Top 8 Best Toddler Pillows of 2019
- 3.1 1. Little Sleepy Head Toddler Pillow – Best for a Good Night Sleep and Much More
- 3.2 2. Kinder Fluff Toddler Pillow – Best When Travelling, Sleeping and Playing Around the House
- 3.3 3. Clevamama ClevaFoam Baby Pillow – Good for Sleep, Head and Spine Alignment
- 3.4 4. Calla Toddler Pillow Soft Organic Cotton – Best for Children with Chemical and Other Allergies
- 3.5 5. Rainbow Fox Animals Pillow Grey Elephant Stuffed Plush Pillow – Keeps Your Baby Feeling Warm and Cozy, and Much More
- 3.6 6. Dreamtown Kids Toddler Pillow With Pillowcase – Best For Toddlers Who Are Learning To Use A Pillow
- 3.7 7. Angel Baby Toddler Pillow – Good for Support and Comfort during Travelling and When Asleep
- 3.8 8. Little One’s Pillow – Toddler Pillow – Recommended By Chiropractors and Pediatricians for Children with Allergies
- 4 Tips on Using Pillow for Your Toddler
- 5 When to replace it
- 6 Conclusion
When Can a Baby Sleep with a Pillow?
Different children grow at a different rate. Therefore, you cannot give an accurate estimate that by a particular age they will want to use a toddler pillow. Some babies will gladly want to use the pillows when you introduce one to them. Others will throw the pillows away.
As I said earlier, do not even think of introducing your toddler while he/she still sleeps in a crib.
This can turn to be a hazard if wrongly handled.
A pillow provides comfort and support during sleep. Therefore, as you purchase one for your baby, put those two things into consideration. Also, try as many pillows so that you can find out which one your baby loves.
You can also look out for signs that the toddler will show when they are in need of a pillow. They include:
- They need support for their head so that they can find some sleep
- They will always look for something to rest their head on. For instance, a pillow, a blanket or the stuffed animals that you keep on their bed
- They become restless at night because they are uncomfortable
- Once his shoulders become bigger than his/her head, ensure that you invest in a good toddler pillow
How to Choose the Best Toddler Pillow
Sleep is important for your baby. If you observe your child and you find out that they are giving signs that they need a pillow, put some various issues into considerations.
Make sure that you read this before you go for shopping.
1. Know the Appropriate Size that Your Baby Needs
Do not make a mistake of buying a regular pillow made for adults originally. Remember that a baby has a small body. If they use something that will bring discomfort or stiffness to their body parts, then they may not even want to sleep.
If you buy a bigger pillow, this can be hazardous as it can also cause suffocation.
You can first research on the different standard sizes available in the market before you buy.
2. Check the Firmness
As earlier stated, the pillow provides support and comfort. Check to see how quickly or slow the pillow regains its shape when you apply some pressure to it. Toddler pillows that regain their shape quickly are soft and therefore would not offer the right support that the body needs.
On the other hand, if the pillow takes a longer time to regain its shape then it is unnecessarily firm.
Thus, this would cause discomfort because of its firmness.
3. Know Which Material Does Not Cause Allergies
Some toddlers are just allergic to a particular pillow material. For instance, you can find that a child would develop some allergies if they use woolen pillows.
Before you visit a shop, or you order one of the best toddler pillows from your dealer, know what your child is allergic to.
You can buy some pillows that would protect your child from allergic reactions. For instance, manufacturers may choose to use natural/organic or synthetic materials to fill the pillow.
Natural materials include feathers and cotton.
It is nice to understand which works best for your toddler.
You do not want to keep going back to the same shop to buy a pillow. Make sure that you purchase the best available product. Buy a high quality and durable pillow.
Choose a pillowcase that is so easy to wash. It is also important to pick a cover that your washing machine can wash with ease.
Finally, make sure that you buy something that is worth the price. Before you visit the shop, do some thorough findings online to choose the best toddler pillow available.
Top 8 Best Toddler Pillows of 2019
|Little Sleepy Head Toddler Pillow||Hypoallergenic Cotton||4.0''||5.0|
|Kinder Fluff Toddler Pillow||100% Polyester Cluster Fiber||3.0''||4.9|
|Clevamama ClevaFoam Baby Pillow||Cluster Fiber||3.0''||4.7|
|Calla Toddler Pillow Soft Organic Cotton||100% Organic Cotton||3.5''||4.9|
|Rainbow Fox Animals Pillow Grey Elephant Stuffed Plush Pillow||Cotton||9.8''||4.7|
|Dreamtown Kids Toddler Pillow With Pillowcase||Poly/Cotton Blend||4.0''||4.8|
|Angel Baby Toddler Pillow||100% Hypoallergenic||4.0''||4.8|
|Little One’s Pillow – Toddler Pillow||100% Organic Cotton||3.0"||5.0|
1. Little Sleepy Head Toddler Pillow – Best for a Good Night Sleep and Much More
If you are searching for a soft toddler pillow, then this is an excellent choice for you. Your child will naturally like the comfort that it brings especially when they lay their heads on the pillow.
Besides, your child cannot only use this pillow on his/her bed only. They can move around the house with it as it provides support to their little heads even as they play in the house. Do not worry if it gets dirty as you can put the pillowcases in the washing machine to clean it.
If you fear that your child may get unnecessary allergies when using this pillow, well worry not. The pillow is made of hypoallergenic cotton that keeps your child safe from all these allergies.
This is obviously something that your little one will love to have on their bed.
2. Kinder Fluff Toddler Pillow – Best When Travelling, Sleeping and Playing Around the House
The Kinder Fluff Toddler Pillow is great since you do not have to buy a pillowcase once you buy it. This pillow is durable, and your child will enjoy its service for as long as he/she wants.
Also, if you want to buy a pillowcase, there are no restrictions. Buy one that your child will love. In fact, let him choose.
This pillow is also washable. You can wash it repeatedly and it will not lose its natural shape.
Your child will enjoy sound sleep as the pillow has light to medium fill that ensures that your toddler keeps a constant sleeping angle on her neck during sleep.
You can also carry this pillow as you travel and around the house.
The pillow is hypoallergenic and carries no odor even after prolonged use.
3. Clevamama ClevaFoam Baby Pillow – Good for Sleep, Head and Spine Alignment
The fabric used to make this product is hypoallergenic in nature. Children with asthma can enjoy a good night sleep since the fabric reduces the chances of getting any allergies.
This is a great product to help children learn which sleeping position to sleep with while still young. The product has been approved to reduce the flat head syndrome among children.
Moreover, it is washable. You can remove the cover and put in a washing machine. The fabric also keeps the pillow from moisture that can reduce comfort during sleep. This increase how air flows in and out of the pillow.
4. Calla Toddler Pillow Soft Organic Cotton – Best for Children with Chemical and Other Allergies
This is a quality product from the USA. It provides support to your sleeping toddler all night. It comes with a good size, which is a great contributor to your child’s sleep as well.
The Calla Toddler Pillow is safe for use. Unwanted chemicals such as pesticides, herbicides or fungicides have not been used to make the pillow. Therefore, you child will not fall ill as he/she uses the pillow.
Many low-quality pillows tend to clump when washed. Well, that is not the case when it comes to this great product. It will retain its original shape regardless of how many times you wash it.
5. Rainbow Fox Animals Pillow Grey Elephant Stuffed Plush Pillow – Keeps Your Baby Feeling Warm and Cozy, and Much More
This high-quality design is ideal for your baby’s sleep. It is made in a way that it makes your baby feels cozy and warm during sleep. It also provides a sense of safety to them as they sleep.
This animal toddler pillow is safe for the child’s skin as well.
You can also wash it. However, do not iron or bleach to prevent damage.
6. Dreamtown Kids Toddler Pillow With Pillowcase – Best For Toddlers Who Are Learning To Use A Pillow
Chiropractors recommend this pillow for toddlers who are learning to use a pillow. It provides great support for the toddler’s neck during sleep.
The toddler pillow comes in great sizes that best fit your child’s need.
Both the pillow and the pillowcase are safe for washing. They are also hypoallergenic.
The Dreamtown Kids Toddler is easy to wash and take care. However, make sure that you use water with low temperature while cleaning.
7. Angel Baby Toddler Pillow – Good for Support and Comfort during Travelling and When Asleep
Your child can use this pillow while traveling, when taking a nap, and when sleeping at night. The Angel Baby Toddler Pillow offers comfort and support for your baby as his
head and the neck stay at the correct angle.
The toddler pillow is easy to wash and does not lose shape even after you wash it severally.
Toddlers with allergy are safe as it uses Cotton Tick Polyester.
8. Little One’s Pillow – Toddler Pillow – Recommended By Chiropractors and Pediatricians for Children with Allergies
Top pediatricians and chiropractors have made this top product from the USA. Therefore, you have every reason to trust its effectiveness.
It retains its shape once washed. It uses an organic cotton shell and poly cluster fiber filling.
There are no harmful chemicals used to make the pillows.
The pillow is soft and has 200-thread count cotton ticking.
However, when washing, make sure that you do not use hot water. You can either use cold or warm water.
Tips on Using Pillow for Your Toddler
- You can at least let your toddler pick whichever pillow cover pattern he/ she will like. This will make him/her enjoy sleeping on it more.
- Do not use these toddler pillows when the child is below 18 months. Wait until they move from the small crib to a bigger bed.
- If your child normally sleeps on his/her back mostly, buy her a thin pillow as it will be adequate for supporting his/her neck. However, if the child lies on her side, a thick pillow will be appropriate. Those who sleep on their tummy should not necessarily use a toddler pillow.
- When introducing your child to pillow usage, do not be surprised if he throws it away during the initial days. Keep it aside for some few days and then introduce it to him/her again.
- Always shake the pillow to let air pass through the fillings. Wash it regularly. You can also put it out in the sun to kill dust mites and other microorganisms that might have found a home in the pillow. However, ensure that you follow the manufacturer’s instructions when cleaning it.
- If your child uses your pillow as he/she sleeps, it might be a sign that he/she needs one. It is not advisable to allow your child to use your pillow because adult and toddler pillows differ in design.
When to replace it
Pillows vary in terms of durability depending on the material used,. In this case, ask the seller to explain how long you should use it.
Experts suggest that one should replace their pillow between 6 months to 2 years, because pillows can be a good home for bacteria. Check the date with your provider to note when you should throw away the pillow.
In addition, you should change your child’s pillow as he/she grows.
That is the list of the 8 best toddler pillows in the market. Tell us what you think about your best product in this category in the comment section. Leave a comment and share the article