Pets are part of our families, and they need tender love and care just like everyone in the family. However, pet hair can be very irritating when they are everywhere in the home especially when you have children around.
Various models have the pet tag on their description. However, the efficiency, safety, and longevity is something that is not guaranteed. We graded the best vacuum for pet hair depending on their overall score on consumer satisfaction, ease of use, efficiency, durability, and longevity. In this article, we will look at vacuum for pet hair, and additional features to consider.
Table of Contents
- 1 10 Best Vacuum Cleaner for Pet Hair 2018
- 1.1 1. Electrolux Ultra Flex – Best for Multiple Cleaning Surfaces
- 1.2 2. Dyson DC41 Animal – Best Upright Cleaner
- 1.3 3. Eureka Mighty Mite Pet Lover – Best for Users with Allergies
- 1.4 4. Bissell Pet Hair Handheld Vacuum – Best for Furniture, Curtains, and Carpet
- 1.5 5. Shark Navigator Lift-Away – Best for People with Allergies
- 1.6 6. Hoover T-Series WindTunnel – Best for Wide Cleaning Space
- 1.7 7. Eureka EasyClean – Good for Cleaning Furniture and Stairs
- 1.8 8. Vax Air Steerable U88-AM-Pe – Best for Horizontal and Vertical Cleaning
- 1.9 9. Shark Cordless Pet Perfect II – Good for Small Areas
- 1.10 10. BISSELL PowerEdge Pet – Good for Thick Carpets and Furniture
- 2 Difference Between a Vacuum for Pet Hair and a Standard One
- 3 How to Choose the Best Vacuum for Pet Hair
- 4 Some Notices When Using Vacuums for Pet Hair
- 5 My Favorite
- 6 Which is the Best Pet Vacuum for the Money?
- 7 Conclusion
10 Best Vacuum Cleaner for Pet Hair 2018
Here is a review of the top rated vacuum cleaners in the market to make sure your pet hair problem is solved:
|Electrolux UltraFlex Canister Vacuum||11.6 lbs||4.7|
|Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner||27.7 lbs||4.9|
|Eureka Mighty Mite Pet Lover||8.6 lbs||4.7|
|Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Handheld Vacuum||5.0 lbs||4.9|
|Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional (NV356E)||13.7 lbs||4.9|
|Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind Bagless Upright||17.8 lbs||4.7|
|Eureka EasyClean Corded Hand-Held Vacuum, 71B||4.85 lbs||4.7|
|Vax Air Steerable U88-AM-Pe Upright Vacuum||12.56 lbs||4.6|
|Shark Cordless Pet Perfect II Hand Vac||4.25 lbs||4.7|
|BISSELL PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Corded Vacuum||7.5 lbs||4.8|
1. Electrolux Ultra Flex – Best for Multiple Cleaning Surfaces
When you are dealing with pet’s hair and a big space, you want something that is all-around. Something that can be effective in cleaning all surfaces. Well, you may want to consider the Electrolux UltraFlex Canister Vacuum before you go on a goose chase in the market.
The equipment has an excellent filtration system and suction power that is equally effective on all surfaces. You can adjust the suction power to suit your surface needs.
This model is quiet, and a push of a button the brush-roll cleans itself. This is awesome news if you are a pet owner because hair tangles on the brush-roll are frequent. It comes with an anti-allergic HEPA filtration that is washable.
However, the power cord is kind of short. But this is a minor shortcoming compared to the wonders this equipment can do to keep your space clean.
2. Dyson DC41 Animal – Best Upright Cleaner
The design and sophistication of the Dyson models are just off the charts. Their sleek designs enable you to place them anywhere in your home ad it blends well.
The product functions even better than it looks. The maneuverability of this device is excellent and pretty light. The cleaner head adjusts to the floor automatically which we find to be very convenient.
When it comes to clearing pet hair in your home the suction power of the machine is the most important feature. This machine has an outstanding suction power due to its Radial Root Cyclone technology which modifies how air flows inside the garget. It comes with a mini turbine head to assist you in accessing hard spots and corners in your furniture and all types of brushes needed cleaning.
Compared to other cleaners this garget is expensive but it is worth every penny.
3. Eureka Mighty Mite Pet Lover – Best for Users with Allergies
This equipment was designed to trap all the allergens and dust particles. It has an adjustable suction power and is accompanied by various accessories that will make cleaning enjoyable. It is super lightweight, and you can carry it around instead of dragging it while cleaning.
The equipment comes installed with a HEPA filter, and the bag is Arm and Hammer Odor Eliminating that will ensure your pets’ odor does not affect you.
However, you will frequently have to unplug because of the short power cord.
4. Bissell Pet Hair Handheld Vacuum – Best for Furniture, Curtains, and Carpet
This may be one of the best vacuum for pet hair in the market. It is easy to use and it has a high suction power. This device uses a Cyclonic Cleaning System. This will help your filters remain unclogged and keep the air around you clean. No more inhaling smooth dirt emitted from the cleaner.
It is lightweight and the fact that it is handheld makes it easier for you to reach rare corners of your furniture with ease. It is also convenient when cleaning the stairs because you don’t have to drag a big bad behind while cleaning.
The multi-level filtration system in the device ensures that all the dirt is trapped. People who have allergies may find this product to be helpful during their cleaning routines. A specialized rubber nozzle is responsible for attracting and removing pet’s hair.
However, the device has a small tank and you will need to empty it regularly. But we also expect handheld vacuum cleaners to have small tanks so this is not a significant disadvantage if you decide to go for this type of vacuum.
The consumer rating on this product is flawless. Its efficiency is guaranteed throughout the cleaner’s longevity due to its Never Loses Suction Technology.
The Cyclonic Technology separates dirt from the air and the HEPA filter plus Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology makes this device a dream come true for people having problems with pet hair.
The canister is detachable and it is lightweight which makes it convenient to clean the hard spots. The 2 washable micro-fibers pads idea was designed with consumer satisfaction in mind.
However, the hose is shorter compared other products we sampled. This can make cleaning hectic especially when the power source is far.
6. Hoover T-Series WindTunnel – Best for Wide Cleaning Space
You will probably want to write down that name in case you are looking for the best vacuum for pet hair. First, this is a bag less model and you will not stress over replacing some parts. The Hoover Vacuum Cleaner works on almost every floor but is most effective on upholstery and carpet. The additional features such as Pet Upholstery Tool and Pet Upholstery Tool makes cleaning much easier.
However, the plastic wheels can easily scratch your hardwood floors. It has a high suction that is powered by a 12amp motor that will help you take care of all the pet hair in your home for a long period. The motors are relatively silent.
The filters are easily accessible and you can remove and clean them anytime. Another thing we love about this cleaner is the automatic cord rewind for its lengthy code.
The overall height on the cleaner is short and would be inconvenient for tall people. You also have to manually adjust the cleaner head unlike in the earlier models.
7. Eureka EasyClean – Good for Cleaning Furniture and Stairs
This is one of the economic models that will get the job done. The Eureka EasyClean is effective when it comes to removing pet hair from upholstery and stairs. This is the regions that most cleaners fail to deliver according to our expectations.
The cleaning path for this device is 6 inches which are reasonable when it comes to cleaning your furniture, car seats, and stairs.
This handheld garget is easy to use making it convenient for both vertical and horizontal cleaning. It has a relatively long cord and high suction power. However, compared to other handheld models we found it to be a little heavy but it’s manageable. Also, it overheats when it is used for a longer period.
8. Vax Air Steerable U88-AM-Pe – Best for Horizontal and Vertical Cleaning
The Vax Air Steerable is not the most powerful vacuum for pet hair but it is among the best. It comes at a fairly low price and considering its efficiency we would say that it is worth it.
The turbo tool makes it easier for you to clean your stairs, car seats, and upholstery. It is ideal to clean carpet and hard floors.
It is designed to ensure optimal maneuverability and the lightweight to make handling it easy. The device uses Multi-cyclonic Technology to separate dirt form air and this prevents the filters from getting clogged. The Anti-bacterial HEPA Media Filter helps reduce the pet related odors and allergens.
The 6-year guarantee is an indication that the product has a long longevity. However, the cord is not long enough and it can be quite hectic to clean under your furniture with this garget.
9. Shark Cordless Pet Perfect II – Good for Small Areas
The Shark Cordless Pet Perfect II is guaranteed to give you worth for your money. The equipment is easy to use and handle. The rubber grip handle gives you a firm grip during cleaning. It works on various types of surfaces such as carpets, stairs, upholstery, and curtains among others.
The motorized XL datable pet hair brush ensures that you get a deep clean. The suction power is maintained by the Twister cyclonic technology.
This cordless device gives you an opportunity to clean the most difficult corners. An additional feature is the LED indicator that notifies you how much charge you still have. However, the battery life is short compared to other models of the same type.
10. BISSELL PowerEdge Pet – Good for Thick Carpets and Furniture
Don’t let the small, sleek, compact size make you underestimate this equipment. The suction power of this device is greater than most huge cleaners you will find on the market. The cleaner head is designed in a V-shape to enhance the suction power.
The canister is transparent which makes it easier for you to see when it is filled. The equipment is lightweight making it easy to handle.
However, you have to be prepared for noise. The machine’s motor is noisy. Also, this cleaner does not have HEPA filter which is an important feature among vacuum for pet hair.
Difference Between a Vacuum for Pet Hair and a Standard One
If you have tried removing pet hair with the standard vacuum then you have noticed how hectic it is. Vacuum for pets has unique features that the standard model do not. These features are to help you remove all the pet’s hair. Also, the standard model can be overwhelmed because of the high suction power needed to attract the pets’ hair.
1. Two-part Mechanism – Most of the standard cleaners use two-part mechanism while cleaning. While cleaning the vacuum stirs up the debris then it is sucked up. This is a downside when it comes to cleaning pet’s fur. The stirring further tangles the pet’s fur to your carpet. Vacuum for pet hair is designed to suck up the debris first.
2. Filtration System – Pets shade dander which can be dangerous for people with allergies. The standard cleaners do not have an advanced filtration system to help them trap micro dirt particles. Most vacuum for a pet is fitted with HEPA filters to separate air from even the tiniest dirt particles.
3. Suction Power – Standard cleaners have a standardized suction power. However, most of them have less suction power compared to vacuum for pet hair. Most vacuums for pet hair have the adjustable suction power to suit different types of surfaces.
4. Extra Features – Vacuums for pet hair have more advanced features and accessories to help them clean out pet’s fur effectively. Most of these features are not fitted in the standard vacuum cleaners. They may include adjustable head, extra-large tubing, automatic clog shut-off, and silicon brushes.
How to Choose the Best Vacuum for Pet Hair
One of the hardest part when it comes to choosing a vacuum cleaner for your home is getting the right one that fits your needs. There are numerous brands that all claim to be the best. Here are tips to help you get the right vacuum cleaner:
1. Cleaning Space
The vacuum cleaner has different specs that are suitable for specific applications. When your home is big you may want to consider a cleaner that has a much wider cleaning path. Also, cleaners that are designed for small spaces overheat when used for a longer period. In most cases, handheld cleaners are used for small space cleaning.
2. Cleaning Surface
The surface that you intend to clean will help you make the decision on which cleaner is best for you. There are cleaners that are not effective on carpets, hardwood, upholstery, or curtains.
Get a cleaner that has supportive features and powerful to make it easier for you to clean your target surface. However, when dealing with pet hair it’s likely you will clean a variety of surfaces so it’s recommended that you go for an all-around cleaner.
3. Your Budget
You don’t want to buy a cleaner that will leave you broke to even pay your electric bill. Your budget range will give you a range of products that you can purchase. There are cheaper models that still get the job done despite having minimal flaws in their account.
However, buying a low-quality cleaner now may result in spending a lot of money in the future. The chances of it breaking down or losing its efficiency are relatively high. Buying a good high-quality cleaner is an investment that will save you money.
4. Performance and Power
A high suction power is important when it comes to removing all the pet’s hair in your space. A high amperage and voltage do not translate to high suction power but it is slightly related. Focus on the suction power and other feature that will enhance the performance of the equipment.
5. Corded or Cordless?
People with big homes would prefer corded vacuums because they have a relatively high suction power. This is because the motor has more space in the device.
Cordless cleaners are convenient because of portability. They are good for people with limited space because the charge can finish the intended job. However, they can be heavier compared to corded vacuums because of the battery weight.
6. Additional Features
The additional features are meant to make the equipment more convenient and comfortable during cleaning. The healthy features are also a plus to the device. Here are some additional features to help you in choosing the best vacuum for pet hair:
- Weight – you will be carrying the cleaner around during the cleaning period. This requires you to get a lightweight cleaner that will not make it hard for you to clean.
- Maneuver – pets shade hair everywhere and you need a flexible cleaner that can clean every inch of your home. This includes horizontal and vertical cleaning.
- HEPA Anti-allergen Filtration – We highly recommend you purchase cleaners that have HEPA filter. The filter traps micro and large dirt particles that can cause health complications. It is also for people who suffer from allergies.
- Capacity – the capacity of the cleaner will determine how frequently you empty it during cleaning period. Get a cleaner that has a capacity that is proportional to your target cleaning space.
- Performance – the efficiency of the vacuum cleaner is essential. It will determine how well it gets the job done. Check the horsepower on the motor to determine the suction power. Cleaners with high suction power remove all the pet hair from your space.
- Durability – you can easily tell the durability of your cleaner through customer reviews.
- Hose Length – cleaners with a longer code are easier to use. It makes it easier to reach difficult corners and under the furniture that are far from the power source.
- Warranty – a long warranty is an indication of the company’s confidence in their product. The warrant also comes in handy when the product unfortunately breaks.
Some Notices When Using Vacuums for Pet Hair
Most vacuum for pet hair come with accessories that help remove pet’s hair from different surfaces. However, vacuuming regularly reduces the load capacity making the vacuum remove all the pet’s hair. Pets shade their fur regularly and sometimes they may not be conspicuous until it is too much. Make a schedule of vacuuming it will make your cleaner work more effectively.
Use upholstery tools to vacuum pet’s fur from your upholstery furniture and curtains. There are some vacuums that have tools to clean different surfaces. Make use of this tools during cleaning. Another important aspect to using your cleaner effectively is emptying the bag/canister. It will make your cleaning process easier.
Occasional deep cleans are important when you want to remove pet hair from your space. This should be done even if you do the regular vacuuming. It will make cleaning afterward easier. Also, some cleaners do not clean their brushes automatically. Remove the hair tangles from the bristles. This will make them effective each time you are cleaning.
One stroke is not enough when using even the best vacuum for pet hair. Make several strokes in the same area until you notice that the pet’s fur is removed completely.
My favorite vacuum is the Electrolux UltraFlex Canister Vacuum. Unlike most of the above cleaners, Electrolux UltraFlex Canister Vacuum is lenient on all surfaces. This means I don’t have to get a different vacuum for my furniture or curtains. It also self-cleans the brush bristles with a push of a button which saves me the struggle of cleaning the pet hair tangles after every cleaning session. The durability and performance of this equipment are unquestioned. It is capable of vacuuming large space and hard to reach corners.
Which is the Best Pet Vacuum for the Money?
Vax Air Steerable U88-AM-Pe Upright Vacuum is best for your money. If you are working on a tight budget this is the cleaner for you. It is fairly cheap compared to all the above cleaners and gets the job done. It does a good job on hard floors and carpet. The warrant period is long which an indication of the equipment’s longevity.
Although, vacuum for pet hair might be a bit expensive than the standard one it is a good investment if you want to get rid of pet’s hair. Put into consideration all the factors that we have discussed above before purchasing a vacuum and you will get something that works best for you. I would recommend that you also go for products with fair warrant period just in case the equipment jams or malfunctions.
We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment or share your opinion with us on which vacuum for pet hair worked best for you.