One thing that brings joy about your biological clock ticking is that you grow wiser and have more experience in life. Wrinkles, on the other hand, can be a pain in the neck because they drain your radiance, smooth, and flawless skin. At the age of 35, your skin is unable to produce as much collagen as it used to and the quality of collagen produced is reduced as you continue aging.
The market is filled with numerous ways of increasing collagen in your system to get rid of the wrinkles; the problem is when you go for the synthetic methods they take more than they give and some methods are very expensive. The good news is there are natural ways you can increase collagen and get rid of the annoying wrinkles.
Table of Contents
Oils to Increase Collagen
Nature has its way of rewarding us for taking care of it. Natural seeds and fruits provide oils that can help you increase collagen naturally.
1. Avocado Oils – Avocado oil blend well with the natural oils that our bodies produce which means they maintain the oil equilibrium and stimulate collagen production. Wearing a face mask occasionally that contains avocado oil helps you regain your youthful skin by increasing collagen and also reducing age spots and blemishes. Free radicles are notorious when it comes to destroying your skin however avocado oil regenerates and rejuvenates your skin cells to give you a healthy looking skin.
2. Jojoba Oil – This oil is rich in iodine, zinc, vitamin E, and vitamin B which are a powerhouse of collagen stimulation. The good thing about jojoba oil is that it does not clog your pores and gets rid of excess oil that causes the breakout. The advantage of using jojoba oil is that it increases your collagen production and can also be used as home remedy for acne and eczema. Use the oil to massage your skin in circular motions.
3. Lavender Oil – Prolonged exposure to UV rays and other chemicals increase free radicals in your skin which makes you look aged than you are. Lavender oil contains powerful antioxidants that protect your skin from the harmful UV rays and gets rid of the free radicle. The oil also stimulates the production of collagen in your skin to help you reduce wrinkles.
4. Coconut Oil – This oil helps hydrate your skin by trapping moisture inside which plumps the cells making your skin look younger. The main skin benefit of coconut oil is that it boosts collagen production in your skin increasing its elasticity and reducing wrinkles. It also has antibacterial properties that will help protect your skin and also sooth it after prolonged exposure to the sun.
5. Sesame Oil – Reduction of collagen production in your skin increases wrinkles, crow’s feet, and fine line. Sesame oil is rich in vitamin E which boost the production of collagen and elastin in your skin to give you a youthful and radiant skin. The oil is efficient to all skin type although there are people who are allergic to sesame oil and can be hazardous. Before using sesame oil check if you have a history or prone to its allergy.
Foods That Increase Collagen Production
Fast foods are ‘awesome’ because you don’t have to spend hours in 60°C kitchen trying to come up with a meal. However, the results of unhealthy eating habits have a diverse effect on your overall health, and your skin will tell the whole story. People with unhealthy dietary habits tend to look much older than their age.
1. Dark Green Veggies – Sometimes we wonder why vegetarian maintain a youthful skin for long and the answer is right before our eyes; dark green vegetables are an awesome natural way to maintain your skin’s health. Veggies such as collards, kales, spinach, and cabbage are rich in an antioxidant known as lutein that is used to fight off the harmful free radicles that break your skin. The vitamin C found in the veggies help our body to utilize protein and increase the production of collagen. Also, veggies improve the elasticity of your skin and boost its hydration.
2. Fish – If the idea of veggies scares you, then you can try fish abundant with omega-3 fatty acids to increase your collagen production. Collagen supports our skin structure, and that’s why your skin loses its elasticity, and you start to form wrinkles when the production reduces. Omega-3 fatty acids maintain your skin cell’s fatty membrane which creates a perfect environment for increased collagen production.
3. Soy – Soybeans are associated with numerous health benefits, and now skin health is one of them. Enzymes known as MMPs are responsible for making our skin age, and soybeans contain antioxidants that block these aging enzymes and also fight free radicles. Collagen production is boosted by the antioxidants such as the genistein which are found in soybeans.
4. Citrus Fruits – Lemons, oranges, limes, and grapefruits are some of the citrus fruits that are rich in vitamin C which can help convert amino acids to collagen. Harmful free radicles breakdown collagen thus reducing your skin’s elasticity and hasten the aging process. Citrus fruits contain antioxidants that fight the free radicles.
5. Garlic – It adds an amazing taste to your food but what you might not know is that it is great for your skin because it is rich in sulfur which is a crucial ingredient in collagen production. Lipid acid and taurine are other essential minerals found in garlic that help your skin repair damaged collagen fibers.
Other Ways to Naturally Increase Collagen
There are other ways that you can boost collagen production in your system without having to eat or massage your skin with oils. However, incorporating these other methods with a healthy diet and natural oils to massage your skin will give you the best results.
1. High-quality Sleep – Beauty sleep means you let your body rejuvenate itself after a long day of activities and it requires at least 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Poor quality sleep increases your vulnerability to increased stress levels, insomnia, and also depression which can be the leading cause of inflammation in your body. It increases free radicles and skin breakage due to reduced levels of collagen and hyaluronic acid in your system.
High quality sleep also boosts the production of human growth hormone (HGH) which stimulates the production of collagen in your tendons and muscles.
2. Regular Workout – Do not be scared because you see the word ‘workout.’ Doing the right exercises such as endurance training and resistance training stimulate the production of HGH which becomes an essential part for stimulation of collagen production. Regular workout also improves your circulation thus giving every part of your body the necessary nutrients needed for optimal functionality.
The next time you are thinking about Botox or plastic surgery to regain your youthful skin, remember that there are safer natural ways which you can achieve the same. You have to be patient because natural way is always gradual and may take some time but the results will not have side effects attached to them. Alternatively, you can practice healthy lifestyle from a young age to avoid the rush that comes with wanting to remove wrinkles. You can use a more than one method from each section to hasten the results and also achieve other health benefits.